Division-M Community
Anthony

Beta v3.0.8.0

Release v3.0.8.0 beta (2018-10-15)
[ n ] Added new "Side Channel Protection" feature. (DB-228)
[ b ] Installer not updating all dependencies correctly. (DB-231)
[ b ] Network services staring but not seeing mount point, we have needed to restart "server" for a network path to appear. (DB-227)
[ b ] Drive Idle performance slow, and for some users files missing during file enumeration. (DB-233 & DB-239)
[ b ] Mount point name appearing as "Local Disk". (DB-226)
[ b ] Empty pool purging is causing an issue on new installs. (DB-229)
[ b ] Drive Bender Manager throwing an error when first starting on some systems (DB-230)
[ b ] Network shares can display security issues (DB-238)
[ b ] File system health check could create folders using a file name (DB-240)

Download here

Pool firewall configurationWe have posted a "How to" on the Pool Firewall, you can access via support at https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000366936

Important - This beta release has been heavily tested (in fact, the most rigorously test beta we have ever released), and expect new/updated features to be solid. The only "if" we have is around the performance of the Drive Idle feature, something difficult for us to test, as it needs a wide range of hardware. If you experience any performance issues with folder listings, please let us know (you can disable Drive Idle via settings).

@Anthony

I installed v3.0.8.0 over the top of v2.7.0.0, but the installer didn't uninstall v2.7.0.0 first.

Rebooted after the installation and v3.0.8.0 was running and my mountpoints were available.

I am getting a weird authentication message now though when moving files withing the pool - see attached.

Not had this issue before the upgrade.

I also can't use the "Take Ownership" option, as it says "access is denied".

Not sure if I should uninstall and revert back to v2.7.0.0.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2018-10-21 at 12.22.23.png

I have reverted to v2.7.0.0 and I am able to move files again and to use the "Take Ownership" option.

I have attached the SIL logs to the ticket I re-raised (#15655), although everything looks OK to me.

Can someone who's actually tried this tell me what the Drive Idle actually does?

Can you still interact with the pool at all? Does it keep the disks from spinning up when opening / browsing folders?

Is it utilizing a cache-disk to store changes, or will the disks actually spin up if you write a file?

I'm using a different product right now, but "busy-disks" was the reason I left DB in the first place.

From the BlogThe next feature is one we have called “Drive Idle”… over the years, a common concern with drive pooling is 1) power consumption and 2) drive wear and tear. Every time a pool is accessed, it can require many, if not all drives in the pool to spin up. In fact, this access is often a third-party app indexing the pool as a background task, again, often requiring the entire pool to spin up. Our Drive Idle technology is designed to prevent these spin ups, or, at the very least limit them. This feature should also improve pool performance and responsiveness.

From my understanding, Drive Idle caches the location of the files and only spins up the necessary HDD for access, so other HDDs in the pool can remain spinned down. From my experiences, this feature still needs some tweaking concidering speed, but we are still in Beta, so no need for worries.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:20 AM, TobiMan said:

From the BlogThe next feature is one we have called “Drive Idle”… over the years, a common concern with drive pooling is 1) power consumption and 2) drive wear and tear. Every time a pool is accessed, it can require many, if not all drives in the pool to spin up. In fact, this access is often a third-party app indexing the pool as a background task, again, often requiring the entire pool to spin up. Our Drive Idle technology is designed to prevent these spin ups, or, at the very least limit them. This feature should also improve pool performance and responsiveness.

From my understanding, Drive Idle caches the location of the files and only spins up the necessary HDD for access, so other HDDs in the pool can remain spinned down. From my experiences, this feature still needs some tweaking concidering speed, but we are still in Beta, so no need for worries.

You are 100% correct!

Are you seeing a performance issue?

On 10/22/2018 at 12:30 AM, CBers said:

No, not enabled. 

I tried without the Drive Idle being enabled as well and still the same. 

Had to revert. 

We have determined this is a firewall issue... when DB starts, it decrypts the firewall values for each mount point using a unique key. If this fails, it defaults to read only... this is to prevent a bad actor simply deleting, or modifying the firewall value. This seems to have happened, and we are just trying to understand why.

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

You are 100% correct!

Are you seeing a performance issue?

Unfortunately yes... accessing folders with greater content [files or subfolders] takes up to 2 minutes for the first time, access after that is faster, but still takes 1 minute or slightly more.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:43 PM, TobiMan said:

Unfortunately yes... accessing folders with greater content [files or subfolders] takes up to 2 minutes for the first time, access after that is faster, but still takes 1 minute or slightly more.

I stand corrected... obviously DriveBender needs some time to cache the whole shebang. Works pretty cool, thanks  @Anthony. @fattipants2016give it a try!

Our main release is being held up by some performance issues with the new Drive Idle feature... seems, for some users, this is causing slow folder enumeration. So we can get the v3.1 release out, we are going to disable this feature by default (users can enable is they like)... then, once we have it performance sorted for all users, we'll do a point release that enables this feature by default.

FYI - We are planning one more beta, v3.0.9.0