Division-M Community
revengineer

V3.1 Firewall

I am looking with great interest at the firewall feature in DB 3.1. Does this work with network shares as well? I have all my important files stored on a server. The files are copied and deleted there with Windows Explorer, so only this executable should have write access while for all others read/list access should suffice. If someone could enlighten me as to whether my plans for using the firewall with windows (samba) network shares works that would be great. 

Thanks ruralcricket. I am already protecting the network share access by user ID. My own user ID is the only one in the household that has write access to these shares. I am worried about something getting into my machine and malware encrypting across the network.

I guess that's what  backups are for. My backup pool is read only to the world and I user RDP to get to it and then run a file sync that pulls data to it rather than pushing.

For backups of the family laptops I'm using Veeam. The config has it's own path and a separate userid/password that has write access (different from the local user).

My Window Server is the backbone in our house handling backups, serving movies, and providing file shares.  The important stuff is backed up from the server to Crashplan but only a fraction of data is backed up off-site, 40+ TB is just too much to duplicate. DB provides duplication in case of failing drives and this mode of operation has served me well for more than a decade (initially with Microsoft Drive Extender). There is clearly a trade between convenience and data safety. I am aware of the risk but find it acceptable given restrictions in user permissions and filtering at the firewall. I would have implemented an extra layer of security suing the firewall but understand that this works only locally. No big deal.