Division-M Community
mcfloyd

SMART status is "Fair"

Hello,

About 3 years ago, I ordered a bunch of WD Red 6TB drives for storage.  During last summer, it became apparent that I don't have the proper cooling for these drives.  Before, I was running WD Green 4TB without any issue.  I made some changes in my NAS/HTPC to allow for better cooling and such, but the after-effects from summer have propagated throughout the fall and winter.  I lost two drives about 3 months ago, and RMA'd them back, and now another drive is giving me a SMART status of Fair.

So, first question is what does Fair mean.  My warranty is almost up on these drives, and I would like to know if this is a failing status that is eligible for RMA.

Second, does anyone know of a good case or server rack to hold 8+ drives?

I am currently using this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163196

I have always been shy towards getting an actual server rack for a couple of reasons.  Server racks normally have those tiny fans that are very loud, and since this doubles as an HTPC, I can't have a jet engine running underneath the TV.  Also, I don't have a ventilated closet to store it in even if I decided to just have a separate HTPC.  I do really like the idea of hot-swappable drives within a rack though.  Another requirement is that the case needs to have enough clearance for my low-pro GTX 1050 for steam games.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-mcfloyd

I find    Crystal Disk Info (https://crystalmark.info/en/ ) much easier to understand. Plus it does temperature monitoring.  It calls out each of the SMART factors so you know the nature of the issue.

Did scroll to the bottom of the disk info pop-out and look at the S.M.A.R.T status list or click on Show S.M.A.R.T attributes to see the actual issues?

Yeah, used the WD diagnostic tool which failed.  Looks like another RMA.

I'm wondering if I got a bad batch of drives.  Even with the temps reaching 50-55, I wouldn't expect them to fail so easily since it is still within their operating specs.

This is the 4th drive out of 6 that I am doing RMA for...