Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
xenth

Weird ID3 Tag Bug After Windows 8 Migration

So today I migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I followed the steps detailled in the documentation online and restoring the pool was a succes.

When I tried to use Windows Media Player to play my music files I noticed something was wrong with the MP3 tags, I figured it was a Windows 8 bug.

However what I've come to notice is that as soon as a I copy a correctly tagged mp3 file over to my DB pool all the ID3 tag metadata is stripped off, if I copy the file to a normal drive (not in DB pool) the metadata is not stripped.

This is really strange behaviour and some help would be nice.  :)

I am using Drivebender 1.3.6.0 and this behaviour repeats itself everytime without failure, doesn't matter where on the DB pool I put these mp3 files.

Thanks.

Actually, seems like it's not just MP3 files that are screwy...

All of my picture files also lacking thumbnails, on every drive outside of the pool this isn't a problem.

Boy am I glad I made a backup before migrating  :rolleyes:

I'm running the latest (genuine) RTM version of Windows 8 Pro from Microsoft Technet.

The metadata for all mp3, mp4 and jpg files in the pool isn't being shown by the Win 8 File Explorer (not a typo they have renamed Windows Explorer)

File Explorer reports correct metadata for a media file if it is on a non-pooled drive.  Copy the file to a pooled folder and the metadata APPEARS to disappear when viewed by File Explorer.

View the file from another Win 7 machine (with the DB pooled folder shared) and the metadata is OK.

Copy the file back from the pooled folder to a non-pooled folder and the metadata is intact and reported correctly by File Explorer.

I haven't tried a media file in a non-duplicated folder in the pool.

I've raised a ticket for this (#2466) and would suggest it is treated as a priority, mainly from the potential perception that Drive Bender is losing the metadata tags, which it isn't.  It's just reporting them incorrectly.

Laurie

Laurie,

Since opening this topic I've been in contact with DB support who told me this issue has been flagged as a bug and that it will be investigated.

Have not heard back since the 25th but figured I'd keep you in the loop.

So i've gotten an update from DB support;

"We have pin pointed this issue (along with a number of other Windows 8 issues). We have been in discussions with our drivers devs (we use a customized version of a third-party driver) and they have concluded that this is a Windows 8 issue as they have replicated this with a number of other drives such as USB drives. They have logged a bug report with MS... I wont know much more until we hear back from MS."

Seems like we're SOL for the time being.

Hi all.

Any updates on this matter?

I am also suffering from this problem, the workaround is no good form me. Either I sacrifice the media tags or Steam. When mark this drive as removable WMP seize to scan media to the library located on the pool and Steam has problems with launching games and applying updates. I really want this bugs to be fixed. I have purchased two licenses of the DB and on Win8 Pro system is no fun to use it. Also might have some issues with XBMC, but not sure if it is related to beta I am using now.

regards

Salata

I am seeing a similar issue with a bunch of photos I just copied to a pool, none of the thumbnails are showing up for the pictures. Was there any update on this issue since September, I am running Windows 8 Pro and the most recent version of Drive Bender.