Division-M Community
TobiMan

Pool firewall configuration failed

Hi,

since updating to Drivebender 3.2.0.0 I get the following error message:

The Drive Bender server (HORST) has sent the following notification:
The Pool firewall configuration failed with the following message: [FolderWALL (\\?\Volume{9f7a6270-51fd-416e-bc3d-e72c87b6fcc7}\)] - The folderwall rule(s), where NOT ABLE TO BE READ for rootpath: \\?\Volume{9f7a6270-51fd-416e-bc3d-e72c87b6fcc7}\ (D:\).
There are no rules running, and all folders are unprotected!

I've never applied any firewall rules, so I'm at a loss here what is causing the error. The drive base protection rule is applied, but that's by default I guess.

Any hints how to solve this matter?

Thanks
Tobias

22 hours ago, gorman said:

I think for similar reasons I am unable to run whatever program from the drive pool. It literally hags most of the system for minutes before spitting out errors.

Hopefully you've opened an issue with details of the error(s) you're getting.

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Getting the same mesaage:

The Drive Bender server has sent the following notification:
The Pool FolderWALL configuration failed with the following message: [FolderWALL (\\?\Volume{ccceea5b-3d21-4a7c-88f3-3b05f144f785}\)] - The folderwall rule(s), where NOT ABLE TO BE READ for rootpath: \\?\Volume{ccceea5b-3d21-4a7c-88f3-3b05f144f785}\ (X:\).
There are no rules running, and all folders are unprotected!

This was after I upgraded from v3 on one PC, but also received it on another PC that was a fresh install.

@w3wilkes - can you add a link to this thread to your open ticket please, just so we don't duplicate issues.

Hi All,

First up, sorry to those users that are seeing this issue... we have sorted it for v3.3 which is in test ATM and scheduled for release on the 17th (Tuesday).

It is important to note that the message itself has no effect on the pool, and all should run as normal... that said, we have found that, when in this state, modifying the rules can cause read issues for the pool. If you experiencing this, you need to do the following.

Open regedit, head to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Division-M\Drive Bender", here you will see a key, will be a GUID value  (for example "{1F804C48-A87A-4C1D-8E58-BCE89B7F6EEF}", yours will be different). This is the pool key, click on this and you see more keys, the mount point key will be the key without the ".VOLUME" extension, click on this and you will see a value called "Mount Firewall", edit this value and remove the value so it is blank... then restart.

We have released v3.3... head to https://www.drivebender.com/downloads.html

This will sort all FolderWall issues, here is a change log
[ u ] By default the FolderWall feature (module) is not enabled. Important - This release will disable any pre v3.3 rules in place.
[ b ] Fixed an error that some users were experiencing at boot concerning the FolderWall module.
[ b ] At startup, a mount point conflict could occur that cause the mount point to be removed and recreated.
[ u ] Added ".BVR" to the VIDEO file types.

24 minutes ago, Anthony said:

We have released v3.3... head to https://www.drivebender.com/downloads.html

This will sort all FolderWall issues, here is a change log
[ u ] By default the FolderWall feature (module) is not enabled. Important - This release will disable any pre v3.3 rules in place.
[ b ] Fixed an error that some users were experiencing at boot concerning the FolderWall module.
[ b ] At startup, a mount point conflict could occur that cause the mount point to be removed and recreated.
[ u ] Added ".BVR" to the VIDEO file types.

Hi Anthony.

Just updated my test server to v3.3 and I got the same message on restart.

I then noticed that the FolderWall was enabled, so I have disabled it for now, as I don't use FolderWall.

Following the reboot after disabling FolderWall, I still got the same message and FolderWall was enabled again.

It's not causing me any issues, so just reporting my findings.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, CBers said:

Hi Anthony.

I then noticed that the FolderWall was enabled, so I have disabled it for now, as I don't use FolderWall.

Following the reboot after disabling FolderWall, I still got the same message and FolderWall was enabled again.

Thanks.

So, it keeps enabling on reboot/restart?
I'm investigating and we have an answer ASAP

10 hours ago, CBers said:

Hi Anthony.

Thanks.

Hmmm... we have checked this again and all is as it should be.

I have a theory... we did push a version of v3.3 prior to posting here, when tested (aka downloaded and installed), we found this to be an old test version, it was re-uploaded... then announced the update. We use AWS's CloudFront, my thinking is that you pulled down a cached version, not the final release version.

To test, download again, then run the installer and see if the installer runs as a new install, or want to modify. If new, then I'm correct, if modify, then something else is going on here.

11 hours ago, Anthony said:

Hmmm... we have checked this again and all is as it should be.

I have a theory... we did push a version of v3.3 prior to posting here, when tested (aka downloaded and installed), we found this to be an old test version, it was re-uploaded... then announced the update. We use AWS's CloudFront, my thinking is that you pulled down a cached version, not the final release version.

To test, download again, then run the installer and see if the installer runs as a new install, or want to modify. If new, then I'm correct, if modify, then something else is going on here.

Still getting the same error on start and the FolderWall is enabled on start as well.

I downloaded v3.3 again from another PC, so it should be the latest.

I have opened a new (another) ticket to upload my .SIL files.

27 minutes ago, CBers said:

Still getting the same error on start and the FolderWall is enabled on start as well.

I downloaded v3.3 again from another PC, so it should be the latest.

I have opened a new (another) ticket to upload my .SIL files.

Hi CBers... what was the result with the reinstall? Did it install as new, or modify... if new, then you should be able to disable the FolderWall and reboot, and end of issue.

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Hi CBers... what was the result with the reinstall? Did it install as new, or modify... if new, then you should be able to disable the FolderWall and reboot, and end of issue.

Hi Anthony.

I did the normal process, uninstalled DB, rebooted, installed DB v3.3, rebooted and all was back online etc.

I went into the settings for FolderWall and it was enabled.

I turned it off and it said a reboot was required, so I rebooted again.

When it was back up, I checked the FolderWall settings and it was enabled again.

I haven't done anything else since.

4 minutes ago, CBers said:

Hi Anthony.

I did the normal process, uninstalled DB, rebooted, installed DB v3.3, rebooted and all was back online etc.

I went into the settings for FolderWall and it was enabled.

I turned it off and it said a reboot was required, so I rebooted again.

When it was back up, I checked the FolderWall settings and it was enabled again.

I haven't done anything else since.

Ok... noted, thanks... let me get back to you