Division-M Community
TobiMan

Pool firewall configuration failed

1 hour ago, BIGGRIMTIM said:

Has there been any update on this issue?  I am still having the issue.

Thanks

I have a separate Support Ticket open for v3.3, for which I am supplying Anthony with various debug logs.

This has been the case for 2 weeks now, so no, there is no real update.

I am running v3.2 on one server and v3.3 on a separate server and even though those messages are appearing, nothing within either pool is affected. 

Your issue is just the message, rather than a real issue though, correct ?

12 hours ago, CBers said:

I have a separate Support Ticket open for v3.3, for which I am supplying Anthony with various debug logs.

This has been the case for 2 weeks now, so no, there is no real update.

I am running v3.2 on one server and v3.3 on a separate server and even though those messages are appearing, nothing within either pool is affected. 

Your issue is just the message, rather than a real issue though, correct ?

Thanks for the response.  The only issue I am having is the firewall turning on even after it has been disabled.  I can turn it off but as soon as I reboot its back on again.  my previous fix was to roll back to 3.1 but since installing 3.3 the error persists even after an uninstall and reinstall of 3.1.  I am not having any issues accessing files so at this point it is just an annoyance.

Thanks

15 hours ago, BIGGRIMTIM said:

The only issue I am having is the firewall turning on even after it has been disabled.  I can turn it off but as soon as I reboot its back on again.  

That's one of the things we're investigating. 

I knew there was a reason I downgraded from v3.2 to v3.1!

I have just upgraded to v3.3 and can report I also have this issue.

I will leave one system on v3.1 for now and leave one on v3.3 and follow this thread for any updates.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, oceang said:

I knew there was a reason I downgraded from v3.2 to v3.1!

I have just upgraded to v3.3 and can report I also have this issue.

I will leave one system on v3.1 for now and leave one on v3.3 and follow this thread for any updates.

Thanks.

I am also experiencing this same issue.  You guys have got to get your act together.  I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.3 and my pool is unusable because of this "cannot read rules" error.  Nothing I do (uninstall, etc) fixes the problem and disabling the FolderWall for me just results in the UI saying it's disabled, but next time I view the setting it's ON again.

This is disgraceful.  I basically upgraded and destroyed access to my pool.  Yes, I know no files are damaged, but I can't effectively run any software installed on that pool.  Great job guys.

I'm hoping I can just find a version 3.1 out there, erase all traces of 3.3, and re-install 3.1 - because I CANNOT RUN ANY OF MY STUFF on the drive pool!!!

Fix this PLEASE.

15 minutes ago, merwinsson said:

I am also experiencing this same issue.  You guys have got to get your act together.  I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.3 and my pool is unusable because of this "cannot read rules" error.  Nothing I do (uninstall, etc) fixes the problem and disabling the FolderWall for me just results in the UI saying it's disabled, but next time I view the setting it's ON again.

This is disgraceful.  I basically upgraded and destroyed access to my pool.  Yes, I know no files are damaged, but I can't effectively run any software installed on that pool.  Great job guys.

I'm hoping I can just find a version 3.1 out there, erase all traces of 3.3, and re-install 3.1 - because I CANNOT RUN ANY OF MY STUFF on the drive pool!!!

Fix this PLEASE.

Calm down merwinsson, there nothing stopping you going back to v3.1 😀

Use this link for v3.1:

https://files.division-m.com/DriveBender v3100.exe

Make sure you uninstall v3.3, reboot, (**) install v3.1, reboot and go from there.

(**) You may need/want to Hard Reset the DriveBender firewall rules before re-installing v3.1:

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000568955-Hard-resetting-Pool-Firewall-rules

If you Hard Reset the rules, you'll have to set them all up again. 

Never be in a rush to upgrade to the latest release of software, let others (like me and w3wilkes) use it first and report back any issues, as we tend to have develop servers for this reason.

The DriveBender developers can only test so much, before a release. 

Thanks. 

I don't understand what the issue is beyond the message? My pool is fine. I can access all my files in the pool, my music server can play any music from my pool, my PC backups go to the pool on my server, etc.. Other than the error message from 3.2 and 3.3 my pool is working fine.

47 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

I don't understand what the issue is beyond the message? My pool is fine. I can access all my files in the pool, my music server can play any music from my pool, my PC backups go to the pool on my server, etc.. Other than the error message from 3.2 and 3.3 my pool is working fine.

For me it's different.  All of the software I have installed there (Steam games, Origin games, Blizzard games) give various errors when loading.

Only after reverting back to 3.1 did things return to normal.

FYI I have 4 500GB SSDs in my pool.

15 hours ago, merwinsson said:

For me it's different.  All of the software I have installed there (Steam games, Origin games, Blizzard games) give various errors when loading.

Only after reverting back to 3.1 did things return to normal.

FYI I have 4 500GB SSDs in my pool.

With this type error I would hope that you've opened a support ticket;

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They will probably give direction on setting some log levels and have you submit logs with the recorded data.

Not an excuse, but the developer is in the Sydney Australia area and may be hampered by the devastating wildfires.

We are working on this and expect to have it sorted this week (week starting on the 6th, Jan).

That said, the error message is just a message, and has no effect on the pool itself. If you are experiencing access issues, then there is something else going on and you should contact support.

Hello

I came from 3.1 to 3.2 and had the error message described here. Went back to 3.1,everything was fine. 

Yesterday I saw the new 3.3 version. Tried, but the same message again like on 3.2

I went to reg to delete the bad key entry in the mount Firewall line. Restarted. Still the error message. 

And like another user wrote, when i look into my configuration the 'enable pool folderwall' ist enabled again, so disabling gets ignored. 

I go back to 3.1 now. 

3.1 worked finde so far, the only thing, that is on my wishlist, is to save energy by spinning down some drives of the pool, when they are not needed. But as i understood the changelogs so far, that maybe a thing that is working on at the moment. 

In conclusion I am happy with drive bender since ~5 years on a WHS2011 based system. 

Thank you Anthony and team. 

UPDATE:

I gave Anthony full access to my server to try and resolve the issue, which he has now done after finding what the bug was.

Hopefully a newer version of DB will roll out in the next few days/week.

Watch this space !!

I also am getting the following message after upgrading.  Everything seems to be working fine otherwise.

The Drive Bender server (HOME) has sent the following notification:

The Pool FolderWALL configuration failed with the following message: [FolderWALL (\\?\Volume{7154bbda-2635-4ad5-be02-d2f644c5404c}\)] - The folderwall rule(s), where NOT ABLE TO BE READ for rootpath: \\?\Volume{7154bbda-2635-4ad5-be02-d2f644c5404c}\ (D:\).

There are no rules running, and all folders are unprotected!

After doing some research for the support ticket, I am posting my observations here so others can see.

This is what I found out.

In 3.4.0.0 my pool still doesn't work correctly, BUT I can now turn off the FolderWall (as opposed to 3.3.0.0 which wouldn't let me), and doing so solves my problem.

Also in 3.4.0.0 I can't seem to see any logging.  Don't know why, but the log appears empty at all times.

I've asked support to get my FolderWall working, and will report how that goes.