Division-M Community
fester cobb

Drive Idle - feature status

From the change log :

The "Drive Idle" feature has been disabled, as we are implementing a new variation of this feature for the next release.

I take this to mean there is a bug in the feature?  Or am I incorrect?

If correct, as of 3.3.0 has this been resolved?

Are we looking at just a new method todo spin downs or will this also include some new feature regarding this topic?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

On 1/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, fester cobb said:

From the change log :

I take this to mean there is a bug in the feature?  Or am I incorrect?

If correct, as of 3.3.0 has this been resolved?

Are we looking at just a new method todo spin downs or will this also include some new feature regarding this topic?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

This is being updated in the next major release... with a re-write of the feature that will also, dramatically improve pool performance.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:25 AM, Anthony said:

This is being updated in the next major release... with a re-write of the feature that will also, dramatically improve pool performance.

So, can we have a word on which is the last stable version of Drive Bender? Where do I find the release notes / announcements for the last releases?

I am using DB since many years, I think I started with version 1.95. Until a week ago I was quite comfortable with version 3.1 running on WHS 2011 (Vail), but in light of the demise of the support for its kernel base (WS 2008 R2) I decided it was time to update the OS to Windows Server 2019. I also downloaded the latest version of DB from the official web page and I was presented version 3.3.

So I am now with Windows Server 2019 and DB 3.3, but the performance is terrible. It's much slower (it seems to always hold the breath for a second before doing something), I caught DB locking itself on dealing with a file, and I have the DB log full of access denied on the pool's mount drive letter. Many times I have write errors from the client (Windows 10) when accessing a file share located on the DB pool, then retrying the operation the error vanishes like magic.

I don't remember to have experienced any of the above with my previous setup, but the hardware is the same, and the pool has been restored from the connected drives after the OS re-installation with the usual deactivate license - install new software - reboot - activate license sequence.

I wonder if going back to version 3.1 would cure all these issues (which also spins the question if it supported to downgrade to that version from 3.3, and if it would have any effect on the current DB pool)

Thanks Anthony.

EDIT: I completely forgotten about the old support article for Gen 5 / Gen 6 driver selection. Which driver has been installed with Windows Server 2019? Eould switching to the other driver be recommendable?

Edited by wrongworld
Added info on Gen 5 / Gen 6 driver

You should open a support ticket and ask the question regarding switching drivers. You should also include the info about DB being much slower and refer to this thread. The place to open a ticket is;

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Be sure to let us know what DB says.

Thank you w3wilkes. I opened a support case immediately after having written my previous post.

In the meantime I've reduced the log level to none (I've found it set to medium, no idea why), this shaved away the delay in opening the remote folders, but unfortunately it did not resolve the issue of the files not being temporarily writable upon being loaded in an applications. Apart from the difference between the drivers, for which I will wait for an answer on the drawbacks of switching from one or the other, I am starting being suspicious regarding Windows Defender, which maybe in this last version of OS / DB do not interact perfectly with DB. The reason behind my suspect is that I see the relative process increasing its CPU usage upon having loaded a file (let's say, a movie) into an application. Yesterday I was fixing the metadata in half a hundred of movies (in Matroska containers), and sure enough if I didn't let passing at least 10 seconds before saving back the changes, I was presented with a dialog stating the file was locked, unavailable or without permissions to write.

Of course the same file, waiting for the said time, was perfectly writable, as was the case if I had copied the file locally and loaded it from there in the application, with no wait time involved.

I've never had such a behavior in many years of using DB with WHS2011. And yet, I think we should deserve to have access to the release notes of each version being released.