Division-M Community
Tourniquet

Windows Server 2012 R2 Client backup doesn't work

Heya,

on this Server I was using DriveBender for a long time but never for the D:\ drive (where the Clientbackup is stored) because I know in the past there were certain problems with DriveBender and WHS 2011 / Windows Server 2012 R2. 

A few days ago I decided to merge the drive into my current pool and ever since I'm not able to backup my PCs anymore. This was excatly what I was afraid of.

I have to admit that the version running there was quite old by now v2.8.0.0 but it worked fine. Now I upgraded to a newer Version 3.1.0.0. and noticed that there were some issues with the driver so I completely deinstalled and reinstalled. But even after that, it still doesn't work. I even tried to manually updating the driver to v6 (which I think is only for win10?).

[03/16/2020 20:44:52  c58] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 1237 API name: WriteFile File: D:\ServerFolders\Clientcomputersicherungen\D.VolumeCluster.4096.dat Error: 1237
[03/16/2020 20:44:52  c58] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service failed at (564) of (admin\serveressentials\backup\pc\util\diskfile.cpp)

The error I get is random, meaning it always fails to write to different files and it always fails at different percentages. 

I ran chkdsk on all of my drives but they seem fine. Now I'm out of ideas.

I also tried to delete the content.dat of the client backup folder I thought in the past it helped or something, but nah.

Hopefully you've opened a ticket on your problem.

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I use WHS2011 with drivebender 3.6.0.0a and have my client computer backup folder in the DB pool and it works fine. I will say that I started with the client computer backup folder in the pool so I wonder if the problem might be related to moving the folder after you had been using it on a native drive.

Actually no I did not open a ticket on it. Sorry =/

But I think I figured my problem out at least to some degree. 

My guess is, for whatever reason some files can't be properly access / written to. When I moved the files that fail and recopied them into the folder again, it works. So its either a problem with the disk drive (which I doubt, because neither SMART nor chkdsk found any error) or a permission problem.

Anyway I could finally backup my PCs so I'm happy now.