Division-M Community

Hard Drive Spin Down not working

I have the same Issue:

DB 1.2.1.0, Win7 Ultimate x64, 3 Disks (2x2TB and 1x1,5TB).

The drives runs and runs and runs... And never spin down :(

Is that normal?  :-[

EDIT:

I try to spin down the drives with "sdparm --command=stop PD[drive]"

That works, but if I set a spin down time with "hdparm -S 1 /dev/sdb" (5 seconds), the command is acceppted but the drive does not spin down.

Also with the Windows Settings to shut down the HDD after 60 seconds have no effect... :(

EDIT2:

I've reboot the Server and set the Spindown time to 60 seconds and the drives spin down after 60 seconds and spin up after a few minutes... If I set the spin down time to 20 Minutes, the drives don't spin down, set it to 10 Minutes then 1 drive spin down and up again after a few seconds :(

With FlexRaid this was not a problem, so what does DB with my drives?

Ok, so your hard drive is rated for X amount of spin ups\spind downs. Mean time before failure is another static they use this figure in. Apparently there is more stress is put on a drive spinning up and down than one that is left to spin. I am by no menas an expert in the case of hard drives and MTBF, but I notice that these figures quoted but manuafators, especially on green drives\desktop drives to be dropping compared to a regular desktop hard drive. In this case it was Seagates LP range of hard drives. Just something to be wary of.

my server has 3 disks, so for example when i watch a film which is located on one disk, i don't understand why the other 2 disk are running ? (more noise level and energy, temperature, ...)

also over night i want to spin down all drives.

i will decide if the drives should spin down and not drivebender !

Drive Bender Support:

Anthony Smith, Oct-17 11:56 (EST):

Hi Chris,

There is a health monitor that checks the drives at regular intervals, this is mainly to do with duplication. We are looking at ways to allow this to sleep in the next update. If you do not use duplication, you can turn off this monitor to see if this fixes you issue.

Open regedit and head to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Division-M\Drive Bender", either change of create a value called "Monitor Health" (DWORD) and set it to 0. Once done reboot.

Anthony Smith - Division-M

- End of message -

Thank you Mr. Smith, I will try it :)

EDIT:

Yes it works... Thank you :)

my server has 3 disks, so for example when i watch a film which is located on one disk, i don't understand why the other 2 disk are running ? (more noise level and energy, temperature, ...)

also over night i want to spin down all drives.

i will decide if the drives should spin down and not drivebender !

At default the "file balacing" is enabled. My Server does the same. If you disable that (and move somehow your files back to one or two HDDs) then only one or two disks (depends on the used space) spin up :)

Many regards

• 2 weeks later...

i am having that problem too. But my pc is not abled to spin the disks down actualy.

I am using a sas card with 19 disks attached. They are presented as scsi disks to the system and won't get a spindown command by windows.

I use a programm called hddscan and a batch file to change the power management of the drives, so they spin down after 5 Min. Thats no problem and all works fine. If i play a movie, only that drive stays awake.

I would not post here, if everything would be allright. If i want to open any folder on the drivebender disk, all drives are spinning up which have anything of this folder on them.

And the problem is, only 1 drive after another gets spun up so it takes about 190 sec (over 3 min) to just look into my movies folder.

It would be great to have an option on drivebender, that the drives are not touched until the file is actualy opened and not while looking at the folder.

I have to add another thing.

IF any drive is spinning up and drivebender is waiting for that drive, all other tasks are not working anymore.

Lets assume i am watching a movie and the drives went to sleep automaticly. My movie is still working.

Now i am opening my movies folder and drivebender starts all drives. Because drivebender is waiting for the drives to spin up, my movie stops playing and i can't watch it anymore until all drives are up and running.