Division-M Community

New Plex build questions and duplication

I plan on trying Windows and see how that works but I was wondering if there are any best practices for building a media server? I Plan on running Plex from an nvme and not the pool.

Folder duplication, is this a 1 for 1? Meaning If I have 80Tb of media will Drive Bender use another 80Tb to duplicate?

*Mobo – Gigabyte GA-7PESH 4

*CPU – 2 of Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2

*RAM - 4x [SK Hynix PC3-12800R DDR3 1600MHz ECC 16 x 16Gb = 256Gb ]

*HBA - LSI 9300-16i 16-port LSI00447 12Gb

*GPU for transcoding – ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini

*HDD – 10 WD 12Tb and 2 14Tb White Label

*PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 80+ Gold

*OS/Plex - Intel NVMe 660p 2Tb

Been using Plex with Drive Bender for years. I have had NO interoperability issues, whatsoever.

As for duplication, you enable it per folder. So if you have 100 files in that folder with duplication turned on, you'll have a copy of each 100 files elsewhere on a different physical disk in the pool. That also means that that folder will be using up twice as much storage from the pool.

Thanks a lot for your reply. After doping some research I think this will work. I plan on using Backblaze to backup the media files. 60 bucks a year for unlimited is a good deal. I heard the restore time is slow but it''s media files so nothing I would need urgently. Everything else I'll back up via duplication.

Are there any settings during setup you would recommend or just follow the standard install instructions? I'm referring to Drive Bender, Plex and Windows settings mostly.  Thanks again for you time!

Everything I've done is default or out-of-the-box settings.

In case you don't already know, that particular Backblaze plan doesn't support Windows Server OS. The Backblaze app will also not allow you to backup mapped networked drives/NAS. It's likely it won't let you backup the pool drive as well. Though it might backup individual drives in the pool, how it would work with Drive Bender's folder structure, I don't know.

That unlimited plan is full of caveats. Better try it out first before committing to it, long term.

Bear this in mind:

With PLEX and your OS, be SURE you have lots of extra space on the C drive.  Windows normally partitions a tiny part of it for the OS and other required uses, and the rest is left unused.  If you have a large PLEX library, you will be continually running out of space and will need to re-partition the C drive.  You can use drive bender to store your media in the pool... just not any PLEX installation for their software.  PLEX cannot run from a pooled drive, only your media may be stored there.