Division-M Community

4TB drive failed... Need help with steps on how to proceed

Well, 2021 for me has come up to a rocky start. I'm still shaken a bit from this ordeal so please bear with me. I would appreciate help and sanity checks with the following:

1. How do I generate/enumerate a list of files along with their path names that are now missing from the pool?

2. Do I just "Force remove" the drive in DB to regain Read/Write access to the pool?

3. After #2, will the duplicated folders be re-duplicated automatically to the surviving drives?

The 4TB drive was around 85% full so that is a LOT. It would really help to know what exactly was in it.

Thanks!

As for the drive, this is what it sounds like (audio only). 

Sorry I'm so late to your party. Have you checked the manual, it's in the DB program Files directory? In my own case the only thing I have on my DB drives is well known so knowing what's where is no big deal for me. It would really be nice if DB kept a "catalog" of files in the pool so that questions like this could be easily answered. I've submitted this as a request before. Maybe if we get more people to suggest it...

@oj88

1. Nothing available, unless you manually run something yourself, which is now too late. 

2. Yes, use the Force Remove option, then you can add a drive letter to it and see if you can access anything via Window File Explorer. 

3. It should do. 

The drive doesn't sound too bad, but it's hard to tell. 

What does the SMART information say? 

If you need anything else, let us know. 

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, CBers said:

@oj88

The drive doesn't sound too bad, but it's hard to tell. 

What does the SMART information say? 

If you need anything else, let us know. 

Thanks. 

Thank you.

The drive no longer show up in BIOS... no chance I'll be able to check SMART, much less recover any files using Windows.

2 minutes ago, oj88 said:

Thank you.

The drive no longer show up in BIOS... no chance I'll be able to check SMART, much less recover any files using Windows.

Damn. 

I lost a 4Tb drive last year, but didn't lose anything I couldn't recover from elsewhere. 

I made sure I had my important content duplicated within the pool and/or backed up to my Google Drive. 

Yeah,

1 minute ago, CBers said:

Damn. 

I lost a 4Tb drive last year, but didn't lose anything I couldn't recover from elsewhere. 

I made sure I had my important content duplicated within the pool and/or backed up to my Google Drive. 

Same here. Irreplaceable files were duplicated so the only items lost were Plex media. I can recreate them from scratch but it doesn't make it any more pleasant. ;)