Division-M Community

Drive Bender backend crashing frequently

mcfloyd

Hello, I have recently been having problems with the drive bender service crashing.  This has been happening every couple of days.

I have attached logs from my windows 10 event viewer, but would like to understand the steps to enable logging in the drive bender service itself (since this probably does not give enough information).

When I open the client, it prompts me to connect to the drive bender service (which has crashed), and my pool no longer shows in windows explorer.

I have recently made changes to my hardware (Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB ECC memory [memtest passed]) and my version is Windows 10 Pro, 1909, 18363.1256, Drive Bender 3.7.0.0

windows_fault.log windows_fault2.log windows_fault3.log

• 6 months later...

Did you manage to find a solution in the end?

My Drive Bender service has been crashing roughly every 7-10 days for a couple of years now. I went through the support process and provided logs but support kept telling me they couldn't identify any errors. They suggested uninstalling and reinstalling - that didn't help. Running the latest version and have probably updated the version 3 or 4 times since first identifying the issue to no avail. I gave up trying to figure out the problem in the end and just set up a task in Task Scheduler that automatically restarts the service after it crashes. Crude but effective. A workaround for others that might encounter the same issue.

I didn't find a solution, and support kept asking for more logs over and over and over.  It started to get so exhausting that I chose the absolute nuclear option: rebuilt my entire pool in Stablebit DrivePool.  It took me almost a month of copying files, detaching drives, and attaching to DrivePool, but so worth it.

Just think about what may happen if your drive bender service restarts in the middle of an important data transfer...  Not worth the data loss.

My feeling is that most of the devs who wrote this software have since left the company, and they are trying to build out features and maintain the project with a bunch of newer devs who don't understand the codebase as well.  Or maybe the code is written like junk and is a rats nest (what the hell is up with the log inspector, anyway?)

It's also worth noting that while using drive bender, my files would randomly disappear or become corrupted (video files unplayable).  I tried finding the reason for this problem by extensively looking through my logs, and initially blamed it on my other automation services.  Well... It doesn't happen anymore with DrivePool so... Take that as you will.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, Bigrizz said:

Did you manage to find a solution in the end?

My Drive Bender service has been crashing roughly every 7-10 days for a couple of years now. I went through the support process and provided logs but support kept telling me they couldn't identify any errors. They suggested uninstalling and reinstalling - that didn't help. Running the latest version and have probably updated the version 3 or 4 times since first identifying the issue to no avail. I gave up trying to figure out the problem in the end and just set up a task in Task Scheduler that automatically restarts the service after it crashes. Crude but effective. A workaround for others that might encounter the same issue.

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem. The only thing I can suggest is that you open a support ticket. And sorry that Anthony was unable to get @mcfloydsquared away, but I will mention that there is only one developer and he has been the developer since day one. He's in Australia and it's the weekend so it may be a couple of days to get a response.

Submit a request – Division-M - Support