Division-M Community

What happens when disk removal from pool is interrupted?

oj88

Long story short, I need to add 2x 8TB drives but my system only has one empty SATA port available. I have added the first 8TB drive into the pool and have initiated the removal of the oldest disk from the pool, a 3TB drive. The 2nd 8TB drive will take its spot.

I understand that the disk removal process can take a long time so there's always a risk of something happening mid-stream... from power outages to Windows deciding to go rogue, etc. What happens if this process is interrupted? Is it something that can be resumed after a reboot?

Took almost 24 hours but I woke up today and DB reported that the disk removal has completed. It's now running a File Duplication task. All indications seems to point that the pool is healthy, so far.

But here's the rub... The removed 3TB disk now shows up with a drive letter, which is expected, BUT it still has around 650GB worth of data on it. I would've thought it should be empty, with only the folder structure intact.

My new question now is, how do I know if the 650GB worth of files have truly been copied to the pool? I mean, I don't want to manually check this. In other words, should I take DB's word that the disk removal was 100% successful and that I can safely repurpose the 3TB drive without worry of data loss?

I was not aware that removing a drive would delete the data from the drive. Since it has a drive letter you should be able to look at the files on the drive and verify that they are on your pool drive. If this process is non-destructive (as I believe it is) it would make the process restartable in the event of one of your questioned failures types during the drive removal process. Of course @Anthony would be able to tell us whether I'm blowing smoke or not. 😁

^ Thanks for the reply.

Yes, removing a drive from the pool would initiate a file move, which then the remaining drives in the pool would pick up.

There were quite a few weirdness going on with the removed disk. I can't account for the 650GB. To be specific, if I select all the folders on the root directory and click properties, it says that all they're occupying were a few MBs. But if I look at the drive's properties, there's a hefty 650GB of space being utilized.

Anyway, after doing spot checks, I was confident that the file move went well. The disk now has been repurposed so I can no longer work on resolving those issues.