Division-M Community

Incompatibility with Windows 11

Upgraded to the Windows 11 Beta and DriveBender seems to load and recognize drives but won't create mount points. Will Windows 11 be eventually supported? I'm aware it's in Beta, just wanted to mention that so far DB seems incompatible. 

I've upgraded to Windows 11 (22000.51) and reinstalled Drive Bender. I can confirm that the Drive Bender Service is not able to start because of the services Browser and Server.

From what I've seen in the event log the service Server is causing the problem. Since I'm running a German system, I've translated the related messages from the event log with Google Translate:

The "Drive Bender Service" did not start properly.

The "Server" service is dependent on the "Drive Bender Service", which was not started due to the following error:
The service could not be started. 

The "Browser" service depends on the "Server" service, which did not start due to the following error:
The dependency service or group could not be started.

So far I don't think the problem is caused by Driver Bender.

I'll restore my Windows 10 backup.

I contacted the developer and he has not played with Win11 yet. he is in the process of getting DB v4 going and thinks it should be ready for beta in the next couple of months. He said they wait for the Windows releases to get closer to general availability before they get serious with compatibility work. As we all know beta software is a moving target, but thanks for the heads up.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:37 PM, w3wilkes said:

I contacted the developer and he has not played with Win11 yet. he is in the process of getting DB v4 going and thinks it should be ready for beta in the next couple of months. He said they wait for the Windows releases to get closer to general availability before they get serious with compatibility work. As we all know beta software is a moving target, but thanks for the heads up.

That is good to know! Thanks for that info.... 🤙

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Div-M,

I also cannot get Drive Bender to function under Windows 11. 

Just poking around:

I see in the device manager>Disks over 90 "storlib virtual storage" disk drives.

Properties>Details of these drives read:
Device settings for {41D33169-5A81-4b4e-8571-3BE1B64F905B}\VirtualStorage\1&79f5d87&1&0165 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Using View All Events I see 10K errors under StorDiag which say:
Completing a failed non-ReadWrite SCSI SRB request

I don't know if this is related, but it now takes 45 seconds to open a "Save As" window on a non-pooled drive. I assume it is taking an unusual amount of time to read the directory.

I will file this as a bug report to MS as well.

I don't want to re-install Windows 10. Please help when you can.

- Ted Schaefer

I will submit a request, thanks.

After a fresh install of Windows 11, I found that I need to install IIS services to get the local host running. After that all of those error messages and storlib instances disappeared. Drive Bender seemed to work and restored the pool but it didn't produce a drive letter that I could browse.

17 hours ago, TedSch said:

I will submit a request, thanks.

After a fresh install of Windows 11, I found that I need to install IIS services to get the local host running. After that all of those error messages and storlib instances disappeared. Drive Bender seemed to work and restored the pool but it didn't produce a drive letter that I could browse.

Wonder if you would be able to assign a drive letter using diskmgmt.exe?

Thanks for the suggestion, however the installation of Drive Bender on Win11 slows down the file system so much that it takes several minutes for the desktop icons to appear on the desktop. I have to just uninstall it. I don't know if Drive Bender installs and ElDos driver, but it seems to be related to virtual storage. The latest version of CCleaner has a driver updater and identified is as old, so I updated it and reinstalled Drive Bender. No improvement so I am uninstalling it now.

I don't think that there's anything a customer can do at this moment. Could I convert the pool to storage spaces temporarily without loosing data?

- Ted