Division-M Community

Slow folder load time with large number of files (>300) for a pool made with network shares

Cerlancism

Are there ways to speed up the folder load time with large number of files for pools made with network shares?

It takes an increasingly from 5 seconds to ready for folders more than 300 files.

I also observed that for moving files, it only moves at the rate of 5 files per second.

The throughput of reading the files seems fine.

The slow folder load time is only happening to Drive Bender, as accessing the shares directly is fine.

My setup:

- 2 SMB shares from 2 TrueNAS pools (Drive Bender seems the only file based solution to combine the NAS pools on Windows)
- Disabled NTFS security
- Turning on smooth stream does not help
- Turned on SnapRAID mode and disabled balancing
- I actually manually moved those files into the pool, by dragging existing folders in the network share into the folder with the pool GUID, did this screwed up something?

I've brought up how slow Drive Bender is to the developer before. In my case I have my music library on a DB Pool drive and duplicated, 2 2.5" SATA on the motherboard. I also have a copy on my laptop on a single 2.5" SATA internal 2nd drive. The software I use to play and manage my music scans all my music files and builds a database of Artists, Albums, Tracks, Genre, etc. I use the laptop as backup, both the server and laptop use the same software. Here's the stats from a full scan on each.

Server;

serv scan.jpg

Laptop;

Lapscan.jpg

As can be seen in the total time (last line of scan details) the scan from the pool drive takes almost 4 times longer than the scan from a non-pool drive.

The only thing I can suggest is that you open a support ticket with the developer and you can reference this thread.

Submit a request – Division-M - Support

50 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

I've brought up how slow Drive Bender is to the developer before. In my case I have my music library on a DB Pool drive and duplicated, 2 2.5" SATA on the motherboard. I also have a copy on my laptop on a single 2.5" SATA internal 2nd drive. The software I use to play and manage my music scans all my music files and builds a database of Artists, Albums, Tracks, Genre, etc. I use the laptop as backup, both the server and laptop use the same software. Here's the stats from a full scan on each.

Server;

serv scan.jpg

Laptop;

Lapscan.jpg

As can be seen in the total time (last line of scan details) the scan from the pool drive takes almost 4 times longer than the scan from a non-pool drive.

The only thing I can suggest is that you open a support ticket with the developer and you can reference this thread.

Submit a request – Division-M - Support

Hmm so I suppose the slow down is also happening with physical drives not just for network share.

1 hour ago, Cerlancism said:

Hmm so I suppose the slow down is also happening with physical drives not just for network share.

Yes, both the pool drives and the laptop drive are physical 2.5" HDD's and locally SATA attached on their respective Mobo's