Division-M Community

Procedure for replacing a failed drive

Please could someone confirm the correct order for replacing a failed drive. The Knowledge base entry Repair a Pool implies that the failed drive should be removed from the pool and then the pool repaired before the replacement drive is added back. This seems counterintuitive but I want to ensure I follow the correct procedure.

I am aware of the article What is the best way to replace a failing or small drive?,  states not to remove the drive using the option in the interface but to use Drive Manager to give the failed disk a drive letter and try and copy the data across to a new disk. In my case, although I haven't tried yet, I have the dreaded click of death so assume the disk is completely inaccessible.

Should I remove the failed drive and repair the pool and then add back the new disk or just follow the article above first and if the disk is unreadable remove it and repair the pool?

Many thanks

Fozzie

You can force remove the failing drive, then add a replacement. 

You can then add a drive letter to the failing disk to see if you can access the content and copy back to the pool. 

If you can't access the drive, then the content is lost.

3 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Even if I have folder duplication turned on???? I thought that was the whole purpose of drivebender?

Fozzie

I meant the content from the failed drive. If you have duplication enabled then DB will redo it, but anything on the failed drive will be lost if you can't access it.

Perhaps I don't fully understand how drivebender works. I thought the files on any one hard drive were spread around the remaining drives. (similar to Raid 5?) That way if a drive failed the contents were distributed around the rest of the pool and could be reinstated as part of the Pool Repair process. Am I incorrect?

Fozzie

OK, So I have finally tracked down the failing drive and replaced it. The pool is currently rebuilding and copying across the data.

A couple of specific issues however (an you may suggest creating a ticket with Tony) but will outline the issue.

Th Drive Bender Manager identified the failing/missing drive as DB2 an from the attached information a Western Digital Red drive and gave me the serial number. I duly removed this drive although it had only been installed in February after a previous drive failed. Sure enough when I plugged it in to a eSATA enclosure on another computer it was readable and Chckdsk showed no errors. In Drive Bender Manager it now showed DB5 as missing as well as DB2.

I put this removed drive back and DB found it and acknowledged return of DB5. I then had to track down the failing drive manually by listening with a screwdriver to my ear to find which drive was clicking. As predicted it was one of the original Samsung Eco Greens.

All is fine now but it shows that the software cannot be relied upon to identify the failing/missing drive.

Secondly when I attached the replacement drive im an external eSATA case I gave it a drive letter of K: in order to copy the data from the failing drive. Obviously I could not do this as the drive was not accessible to DB or windows Disk Manager. However I am left with a phantom drive K:/ in Drive Bender Manager with a capacity of xxMb.(See screenshot below) How can I get rid of this phantom entry?

Finally I had folder duplication on for all but a couple of folders in the pool. Is there any way from the logs I can identify which files on the failed drive DB2 will not be restored?

Drivebender snip.JPG

6 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Secondly when I attached the replacement drive im an external eSATA case I gave it a drive letter of K: in order to copy the data from the failing drive. Obviously I could not do this as the drive was not accessible to DB or windows Disk Manager. However I am left with a phantom drive K:/ in Drive Bender Manager with a capacity of xxMb.(See screenshot below) How can I get rid of this phantom entry?

Does Windows see the drive as K: ?

If so, it will show up in DriveBender as a drive that can potentially be added to the pool.

It does look dead though, with 0kb free, of 0kb.

Regarding the first part of your post, I would raise a Support Ticker and ask if there's anything they can check.

Glad to see you made progress and are recovering your pool.

There is no list anywhere of what files exist on each drive in the pool.

It's been suggested many times, but the only way currently is to do it manually, on a regular basis.