Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
jmone

Can you see what files are "Missing" when a HDD dies?

Not that it has happened (yet) but I'm sure it will one day.  Say 1 Drive dies in my pool and is not recoverable.  Can I get a list of the "missing" files (and their paths) so I know what to restore?

There is nothing in DB that lets you know what was on a failed drive that I know of. You could specify duplication for everything and then it would be a moot point.

It does seem like providing the ability to let you know what was on a failed drive would be a fairly big task to implement. Seems like some type database that would do filename association with each drive in each pool. The database would then have to be updated in realtime based on file create, file delete and file rename. Then on the back end you'd want some type GUI/report system that would display the database. I'm sure people would also want to be able to query the database by all kinds of criteria.

Yes there is and it is on the disk that failed. In addition the OS keeps some file locations in the registry. Other programs like Word, Excel, Quicken, etc keep some info on recently used files. Bottom line is there's no repository for all files on a disk other than the directory on each disk.

In other operating systems like IBM's MVS (z/OS is the current iteration), there are file catalogs that are essentially databases of files and their locations. Windows and *NIX systems do not have this as part of their structure.

You can use a batch file to list the folder structure and all files within, and output that to a text file. You can then schedule that batch to run several times a day depending on how often your contents change. For example:

If you can match the GUID with a particular HDD, like:

{D9F6C79B-A058-45FA-A793-9D2683D9CC9A} = DB1 ... (use Drive Bender Manager to identify DB1 with model and serial # if provided)

Then use a batch command like:

@echo off

Rem create a text file listing folder structure & contents of DB1

@echo creating content list of DB1  Please wait...

tree F:\{D9F6C79B-A058-45FA-A793-9D2683D9CC9A} /a /f > d:\DB1_FolderContents.txt

This will create a DB1_FolderContents text file that shows the directory structure and the files under each subfolder. If that particular HDD fails and is unrecoverable, at least you have a list of what was on it including folder structure layout.

Forgot to mention that the proceeding method assumes you have a drive letter assigned to each drive. I've assigned drive letters, and then hid them using a registry tweak. This is done by:

- Open Registry editor (select run, then type regedit)

- Navigate to this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

- In the right-pane, create a new DWORD entry "NoDrives".

- Modify the "NoDrives" DWORD using a decimal value. I hid drives A: B: F: G: H: I: with a value of 481. There are free calculators that will give you the value to hide different combinations of drives. Search online for one.

- Reboot your Pc

This will hide the drives from explorer, but still allow you to use programs that need access to individual drives.

** Take caution editing the registry, as this can potentially corrupt an entire windows installation. **

Thanks M1 - not a bad workaround - I've modified your suggested BAT file a bit so that the output is not overwritten if the drive does not exist:

@echo off
Rem create a text file listing folder structure & contents of the Drive Bender Pool
@echo creating content list of the Drive Bender Pool  Please wait...
IF EXIST L: tree L:\ /a /f > L_FolderContents.txt
IF EXIST M: tree M:\ /a /f > M_FolderContents.txt
IF EXIST N: tree N:\ /a /f > N_FolderContents.txt
IF EXIST O: tree O:\ /a /f > O_FolderContents.txt
IF EXIST P: tree P:\ /a /f > P_FolderContents.txt
IF EXIST Q: tree Q:\ /a /f > Q_FolderContents.txt

I was surprsed how quickly it dumps the contents of my 6 x 4TB hdd to the TXT files.  For now I've just assigned the drive letters and left them exposed but this may be a good quick feature addition request for DB to maintain such a list on each of the physical drives as a log.

Note: I've schedule it to run each do to a folder that is then backed up to WHS so I'll have a history of logs if needed from this point on.