Division-M Community

Beta v3.9.3.0

Anthony

Release v3.9.3.0 beta (2021/11/1)
[u] Architecture change from beta v3.9.2.0 (beta removed)
[u] Windows 11 compatibility
[u] Drive Bender core updated with a number of rewrites
[n] Added new "File placement" options to drive nodes, including "Landing zone", "Primary files", "Duplicate files", "Custom target folders" and "Target not preferred".
[b] Memory leak of the server when the Drive Bender Manager is running for extended periods.
[b] When removing a drive, pool size change error fires.

IMPORTANT - Ensure Smooth Stream is disabled, this feature can cause issues with v3.9.x

Download here

3 hours ago, Electron707 said:

Not sure if its only me; post the update/reboot for beta version it could not connect to the "Localhost:9885" and the pool was not restored. Downgraded back to v3.7 and all is fine now (still at Windows10). Unless version is specific to Windows11 only?

Have you tried a second reboot.  It took me two reboots to get my pool to appear in Windows Explorer but I got a 'folders missing' in the Server Folder and Hard Drives part of the WHS Dashboard and couldn't reconnect to them despite pointing the task to them.

The pool was also missing in the 'Hard Drives' tab as well.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, kiwimtnbkr said:

Have you tried a second reboot.  It took me two reboots to get my pool to appear in Windows Explorer but I got a 'folders missing' in the Server Folder and Hard Drives part of the WHS Dashboard and couldn't reconnect to them despite pointing the task to them.

The pool was also missing in the 'Hard Drives' tab as well.

I tried today of installing the Beta again but same situation; restarted a number of times to ensure giving it enough opportunity still nothing. I observed one thing that the "Drive Bender" service was not running, even though it was set to Automatic. I started it manually but nothing and after 30sec or so it was Off again. Finally reverted back to 3.7 and all back to normal. So seems will be waiting for either the next sub-release of the beta to test. Any other suggestion happy to give it a go.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:48 PM, Electron707 said:

I tried today of installing the Beta again but same situation; restarted a number of times to ensure giving it enough opportunity still nothing. I observed one thing that the "Drive Bender" service was not running, even though it was set to Automatic. I started it manually but nothing and after 30sec or so it was Off again. Finally reverted back to 3.7 and all back to normal. So seems will be waiting for either the next sub-release of the beta to test. Any other suggestion happy to give it a go.

Yes, please open a support ticket. 

On 11/7/2021 at 7:01 PM, Electron707 said:

Not sure if its only me; post the update/reboot for beta version it could not connect to the "Localhost:9885" and the pool was not restored. Downgraded back to v3.7 and all is fine now (still at Windows10). Unless version is specific to Windows11 only?

I am on a backup box which was running W10 and Drive Bender V3.7. I upgraded to W11 and drive Bender v3.9.3.0 and can't get past the "could not connect to the Localhost:9885" The service is running and as another suggested I have done a few reboots :(

33 minutes ago, bakerbwb said:

I am on a backup box which was running W10 and Drive Bender V3.7. I upgraded to W11 and drive Bender v3.9.3.0 and can't get past the "could not connect to the Localhost:9885" The service is running and as another suggested I have done a few reboots :(

I'd suggest opening a Support Ticket, as your experience may be useful for the next beta. 

1 minute ago, Dan M said:

This beta doesn't work with WSL on Windows 11.  Whenever I try to access the pool with (/mnt/m for example) Ubuntu on Win 11, the system crashes hard with a Memory Error and reboots.

I'd suggest opening a Support Ticket, as your experience may be useful for the next beta. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the support team; at least the v3.9 was finally working and all seemed well. Though recently (still Windows10) I observed one other particular issue; as my Media on the Plex server (running Drive Bender) started to take much longer (in certain cases failing) to resume the video playback. Now ofcourse first I thought it was Plex issue after few days of investigation found the following:

Try to Play a file running on a Pool (v3.9) on the server (Media player) the "Seek" function is not working on any of the media file; though if I play the same file from respective mounted Physical HDD the media files plays perfectly and can seek forward/backward with no issues. Then reverted the DriveBender to v3.7 on the same server and bang....all media files play on the pool the seek function working perfectly. Tried Plex media streaming and all things back to normal.

Thus for now I am back at v3.7; as not sure the Media Seek function at least for me was causing my use-case issue. For many it might not be an issue as if you play the media file or copy/paste as long as it is SEQUENTIONAL it seems to be fine; anything random wihtin the file itself does not work on v3.9.

Any one had the same experience?

On 12/1/2021 at 6:31 AM, Electron707 said:

Any one had the same experience?

@Electron707 I think you're going to know the answer, but I'd suggest you open a new Support Ticket.

I use emby and have not experienced the same issue, but in still running v3.7.

Was the media file direct play, or being transcoded? 

11 hours ago, CBers said:

@Electron707 I think you're going to know the answer, but I'd suggest you open a new Support Ticket.

I use emby and have not experienced the same issue, but in still running v3.7.

Was the media file direct play, or being transcoded? 

V3.7 is running fine for me not an issue. I have reverted back from 3.9. The seek issue was happening on 3.9. 

For Plex vs Emby don't want to start one of the holy wars :)...but as I mentioned in my initial message; forget Plex/Emby if i try to play the file directly on the server (Media Player) while on the StoragePool it starts to play but i canNOT seek the file anywhere in the middle...it keeps on going in sequence. Then on the server if i try the same file from by browsing to the actuall HDD mounted place and play the file in teh same MediaPlayer seek function works perfectly. That's why its nothing to do with any kinds of MediaSErver or Transcoding as my playing the file directly on the server itself I eliminated that point of confusion.

Now back to 3.7 all is fine; but 3.9 hoping will fix somehow as still planning to move towards Windows11 at some stage.

9 hours ago, Electron707 said:

V3.7 is running fine for me not an issue. I have reverted back from 3.9. The seek issue was happening on 3.9. 

For Plex vs Emby don't want to start one of the holy wars :)...but as I mentioned in my initial message; forget Plex/Emby if i try to play the file directly on the server (Media Player) while on the StoragePool it starts to play but i canNOT seek the file anywhere in the middle...it keeps on going in sequence. Then on the server if i try the same file from by browsing to the actuall HDD mounted place and play the file in teh same MediaPlayer seek function works perfectly. That's why its nothing to do with any kinds of MediaSErver or Transcoding as my playing the file directly on the server itself I eliminated that point of confusion.

Now back to 3.7 all is fine; but 3.9 hoping will fix somehow as still planning to move towards Windows11 at some stage.

Hopefully Anthony will be able to assist. 

22 hours ago, Electron707 said:

Thank you for posting this, exact same issue with VLC + PLEX and larger Video files.

I don't have the luxury to go back to 3.7 since I have already upgraded to Windows 11. Any suggestion? 

6 hours ago, OP_POP said:

Thank you for posting this, exact same issue with VLC + PLEX and larger Video files.

I don't have the luxury to go back to 3.7 since I have already upgraded to Windows 11. Any suggestion? 

I can only suggest that you raise a Support Ticket.