Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Beta v1.4.1.2

Release v1.4.1.2 beta (2012-11-15)

- Update: The introduction of our updated driver (VHyperDrive) for improved performance and Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 compatibility.

- Bug fix: Adding and deleting pools is now better handled (for both the client and server).

- Bug fix: An invalid pool / drive configuration can prevent the pool from starting correctly (this issue was introduced in v1.4.0.0)

- Bug fix: A number of minor interface issues.

All beta versions can be downloaded from here.

If you have any beta specific comments, post them in this forum.

Just thought I'd drop a note that I'm running fine on WHS2011. Made sure my pool is intact and accesses both docs and served music from the pool. I'll know about client backups tomorrow.

On my WHS machine I'm at 106.4MB after 36.5 hours (main task, not health monitor). I do not run Smooth Stream. Haven't paid much attention to RAM since the early days so I don't know if what I'm currently at is typical. I'll keep a eye on it.

From thesmith it sounds like we may have a memory leak in this 1412 beta. I'm almost 72 hours into this boot with memory at 126.3 MB. On my first look at 36 hours into this boot I was at 106.4 MB. Over the course of the last 1.5 days I've seen a increase of 20 MB. There have been 2 backup cycles of PC's on my network to the DB pool and some audio streaming from the DB pool. I've done nothing on my server for the last 8 hours and have seen a memory increase of about 8 MB. I do not use the smooth stream feature. It does appear that there may be a memory leak.

On one of our test machines we are seeing high RAM usage... is anyone else seeing this?

WHS or W7/8?

WHS

Thought I'd throw out a quick update on memory. I'm almost at 96 hours since boot and memory is up again...

143 MB

So it's still growing.

We are running some tests... however there is certainly something amiss here.

Now only a couple of hours shy of 120 hours on this boot and memory usage has grown to 156.3 MB. Se we're up another 13 MB from yesterday. Other than this leak I've seen nothing else broken. The small piece of good news is that I'm on WHS so the platform is consistent with where DB is seeing the memory issue. Wondering if the high memory usage DB is seeing on their WHS box is with or without smooth streaming.

Since I installed this beta (Win8 x64), the DB service keeps terminating after some time (first time a few days after updating and then a day later again). From the system log:

First this happens:

Source:        disk

Date:          20.11.2012 18:13:42

Event ID:      153

Description:

The IO operation at logical block address 40 for Disk 8 was retried.

Then this:

Source:        Service Control Manager

Event ID:      7034

Description:

The Drive Bender Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The SMART values of all disks seem to be fine, didn't run checks though. Haven't yet experienced data corruption, but who knows.

Another thing I noticed: The service uses more and more memory over time, but the growth rate isn't too bad. However, after the system returns from S3 sleep, the memory usage is low again (because the driver is reloaded I guess?).

@DIE_KUH

im not sure that the first error is related to drivebender. This error seems Windows 8 specific. I saw a lot of people getting this error in windows 8 even tough in windows 7 everything was fine.

Im getting the same error:

Der E/A-Vorgang bei der logischen Blockadresse "40" f?r Datentr?ger "9" wurde wiederholt.

Am i the only one where the pool is listed as portable device in the device manager?

Well, the disk in question actually is the DB pool, not a physical disk. And immediately after the I/O error, the DB service terminated. Didn't have this problem with the previous two builds.

So this is only (!!) a WHS issue ??

Safe to install on Windows 7 then ??

It effects all versions... however because WHS is so active (i.e. constantly enumerating the file system), it is much more of an issue on WHS.

Since I installed this beta (Win8 x64), the DB service keeps terminating after some time (first time a few days after updating and then a day later again). From the system log:

First this happens:

Source:        disk

Event ID:      153

Description:

The IO operation at logical block address 40 for Disk 8 was retried.

Then this:

Source:        Service Control Manager

Event ID:      7034

Description:

The Drive Bender Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The SMART values of all disks seem to be fine, didn't run checks though. Haven't yet experienced data corruption, but who knows.

Another thing I noticed: The service uses more and more memory over time, but the growth rate isn't too bad. However, after the system returns from S3 sleep, the memory usage is low again (because the driver is reloaded I guess?).

This may well be the memory issue.

We have found the problem and are releasing a new beta today (v1.4.1.5)