Division-M Community

Permission issues with copying files

I've been using Drive Bender since the early beta days, but I'm now getting the error "You need permission to perform this action" when I simply try to copy files from a remote computer to a mount point. I can see the mount points just fine from the remote pc and can read the files ok too. It's just writing files to a mount point that's erroring.

So far, I've turned off Windows Firewall and UAC to no avail. It seems the files/folders in the mount points are designated with a cryptically-named Owner that I assume is of Drive Bender's doing. I didn't think it'd be a good idea to change this owner as I'm afraid it may screw with Drive Bender's file balancing between different physical drives.

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Drive Bender 1.2.1.0 trial (just installed the trial yesterday).

I see the option to "Rebuild/repair the selected Drive Bender pool" but wanted to ensure this was the next logical step and that it wouldn't make the issue worse.

As a side note, is there a way to see the mount points in Windows Explorer directly from the server Drive Bender is running on?

The purchase of this product obviously hinges on this issue being resolved :)

Thank you in advance.

I believe that from Windows Explorer on your Windows Server 2008 R2 box you should be able to see the drive letter that you assigned to your DB pool and browse it from there.

I've done a rebuild/repair and if it doesn't see anything to do it will just end. Have you checked your permissions on the folders that you're getting prompted for? Not being familiar with 2008 R2 this is just a guess. The prompt does sound like a UAC prompt though.

I'm seeing the same thing.  I'm running WHS 2011 and just installed the RTM version of DB.  When I try to copy data from my old server to the new pool (consisting of 5 drives ranging from 2TB to 300GB) the copy begins but after a while it fails with an error dialog:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Error Applying Security

An error occurred while applying security information to:

D:\ServerFolder\eBooks\A

Access is denied

Continue        Cancel

If I reboot the server and try again, more files will copy and then the same error will occur.  I don't have any specific repro steps other than the following:

1. On the Drive Bender'd server, open Windows Explorer and navigate to a WHS share (mine was D:\ServerFolder\eBooks)

2. Open another Windows Explorer window and navigate to the source folder on another machine

3. Copy a large amout of files and folders (some are 4-5 level deep) from source machine to Drive Bender'd folder.  Some will copy but then the error will occur.

I'd be happy to send along any type of debug logs you may need, just let me know how to get them.

I'm also hesitant to leave Drive Bender running.  I'm retiring my old WHS 1.0 server and need to be able to trust the drives in the new machine.  As of now, I trust the drives but not Drive Bender.

- Steve

I've tried pointing to [tt]D:\ServerFolders\eBooks\A[/tt] and [tt]\\[server]\eBooks\A[/tt] with the same results.  I would also expect to be able to treat the DB pools just like ordinary drives, i.e. Copy, XCopy and RoboCopy should all "just work". 

BTW, I was actually copying to [tt]D:\ServerFolder\eBooks[/tt].  The [tt]\A[/tt] folder is where it broke.  There were 3 prior folders that worked.  The entire copy is 85,664 files in 10,124 folders for a total size of 41.8GB.

As a workaround I tried just copying each subfolder of [tt]\eBooks [/tt] by hand and it broke on [tt]\A[/tt] which consists of 5,453 files in 782 folders for a total of 2.08GB.

- Steve

@Matkins75, They sound a little similiar, but may not be the same issue since you're on Windows Server 2008 R2 native and it sounds like the others are on WHS2011 which I believe handles security differently.

@Ray95, Just a little note on your WHS2011 system. I believe that the max amount of RAM that WHS2011 supports is 8GB, if you have another use for 4GB I'd consider moving 4 of your 12GB from your WHS2011 box.

@both... Have you opened support tickets? See sticky at top of Help and Support for URL.

@Matkins75, They sound a little similiar, but may not be the same issue since you're on Windows Server 2008 R2 native and it sounds like the others are on WHS2011 which I believe handles security differently.

WHS2011 is built on the 2008 R2 framework, permissions are the same.

The only difference between whs2011 and 2008 R2 is they have stripped some of the features out and put the dashboard into it and put a cap on the max supported memory.

Permissions are applied either via the dashboard or via explorer.

Note for the OP

I would suggest you browse to the folder via explorer and check the permissions yourself.

I have had issues like what you are having in the past but I fixed most of them myself.

• 2 months later...

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but i had some "permission" problems when drive bender shut down all write operations to save the integrity of my pool when 1 drive was unresponsible (and not reported to windows due to wrong settings of my raid controller).

Following happened.

I restarted my server from hibernation and i disk lost power. Timout in controller was set wrong and it was never shown as offline to the server.

After copying 1 file, DB shut itself down for every other write operation and i could only do reads.

After a restart (with all drives running again), i was abled to do all write operations again.