Division-M Community

drivebender file structure for duplicated files/folders?

montejw360

i installed drivebender on a windows home server 2011 server.  i created a pool, the pool had 2 drives, the primary and the added drive.  i needed to uninstall db.  i removed the second drive from the pool, then uninstalled db.  now the drives both have folders named "folder.duplicate.$drivebender" in the root of every folder.  some are empty, some not.

i'm trying to get the drives back to where they were before db was installed, am i stuck moving all of the files from the $drivebender folders back to the original folders one folder at a time?

I would have thought you could just ignore all the folders that are for dups. All your original files might be spread across the 2 drives, but you should not have to use the dup folder files in your rebuild.

there are no files in the root of any folder, they are in the folder.duplicate.$drivebender folders that reside in any folder.  if a folder had no files in it originally the f.d.$ folder is empty.  each subfolder will have a f.d.$ folder in it, if the subfolder had file in it all of them are in it's own folder.duplicate.$drivebender folder.  can't ignore them, that's where all of the files are.

Odd, That's not what I see when I look at my native drives. Here's some screen snips from explorer on a native 2 drives. Drive E: has the files in the primary folder with nothing in the dup folder. Drive F: has nothing in the primary folder with all the files in the dup folder. This is consistent with all my folders that I have dup specified on. If I were rebuilding my folder structure on native drives using my DB drives without DB installed I would be able to use just the primary folders to reconstruct.

465_.jpg

467_.jpg

Odd, That's not what I see when I look at my native drives. Here's some screen snips from explorer on a native 2 drives. Drive E: has the files in the primary folder with nothing in the dup folder. Drive F: has nothing in the primary folder with all the files in the dup folder. This is consistent with all my folders that I have dup specified on. If I were rebuilding my folder structure on native drives using my DB drives without DB installed I would be able to use just the primary folders to reconstruct.

thats not the way my drives look.  every duplicated folder has the folder.duplicate.$drivebender folder in it and every file within the primary folder was moved into the folder.duplicate.$drivebender folder.  all the files are buried in the duplicate folder so i can't just ignore them.  i have to move my files back to the root of the primary folder then delete the duplicate folder.  it's a mess.

Under normal conditions I don't understand how this would happen. Did you do something out of the ordinary that may have caused some type of fault condition in your DB configuration? I would suggest you open a support ticket and see if the DB developers may be able to help you out of your mess. Be sure and let them know what led up to this or if it just happened out of the blue. I'd be curious to know what you find out as I've been using DB for about 1.5 years and have never seen anything like you describe.

http://support.drivebender.com/home

Under normal conditions I don't understand how this would happen. Did you do something out of the ordinary that may have caused some type of fault condition in your DB configuration? I would suggest you open a support ticket and see if the DB developers may be able to help you out of your mess. Be sure and let them know what led up to this or if it just happened out of the blue. I'd be curious to know what you find out as I've been using DB for about 1.5 years and have never seen anything like you describe.

http://support.drivebender.com/home

add a new empty drive to the pool.  enable folder duplication on that drive, then remove the drive from the pool without disabling folder duplication and see what the drive looks like afterwards.

opened a support ticket.

Just curious... When you added a new empty drive to the pool it should have removed the drive letter from that physical drive and made it part of the DB pools' virtual drive. With this in mind I'm wondering how you would enable folder duplication on that specific drive? I've only found where to activate folder duplication on a folder level from the WHS dashboard using the Mounts Dashboard -> Manage duplication dialog. I can't see where to specify duplication for a drive within the pool. Only folders show up in the Manage duplication dialog without any indication as to what drive a given folder might be on. I must be missing something from your description?