Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
tbar

Writing data to pool fails.

I can no longer write data to my WHS 2011 DB pool over the network without having click on retry multiple times during the copy.  I believe this is due to the DB1 drive (the original D partition of the OS disk) having errors.  I cannot run a chkdsk on it either through the WHS Dashboard or the Windows Service Manager Disk Management.  Through the Dashboard Pool Manager it just pops up with a Drive Bender error saying it can't be checked. Through the Disk Manager it doesn't do anything.  The next thing I'm going to try is adding a drive letter and see if I can check it in safe mode.  I can run chkdsk on the other 4 drives in the pool.  I'm also running the latest DB, 1.4.6.0.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Update: After adding a drive letter to this partition Disk Manager will allow me to run chkdsk but it says it has to unmount it first.  Based on the warning I'm not going to do that...

It would be highly advisable to get the other partition on your WHS2011 OS drive out of the pool! If you have to replace the drive or if you reinstall the OS, the pool drive will be gone! I believe there are many warnings throughout this board on not including the other partition of the OS drive or a WHS2011 system in the DB pool.

I successfully added a drive letter to the OS drive partition I assumed was failing and in safe mode did a full chkdsk.  It found no errors.

I could have sworn I read in the installation instruction to create the pool with the original D drive.  If that is not the case I have no problem in removing it.  Do I just remove it from the pool or do I also need to make it the D drive and then the pool something else?

Thanks,

Tom

You can make the pool drive just about any drive letter you want, including D:. Typically A, B and C are reserved for floppies (yea, not many of those left) and the system drive.

I think you're right about the instructions. However, when doing DB on a WHS system I think these forums do caution against "the other partition of the system drive" in the pool. It is probably easiest to convert using the instructions, but then after all is done, it's a very good idea to get the "D:" partition out of the pool. This can be done from the Dashboard -> Server Folders and Hard Drives -> Pool Management tab -> Drives dashboard -> and then the Remove drive button for your D: drive. It seems like some folks were saying that this function would sometimes report that it was complete when it actually was still running. You should be able to verify the state of this by going to the Advanced options and checking the Running tasks button. I believe I saw a update to the reporting of this function in the 1.4.6.0 change log so this may be addressed in the current version. In the event that the Remove drive function fails there is a knowledge base article on doing this manually;

http://support.drivebender.com/entries/20436517-manually-removing-a-drive-from-the-pool

As they said at Burger King years ago... "Have it your way". If you want the pool to be D: then leave it D:. If you want the other partition on the OS drive to be D:, that'll work too. Whatever YOU like best is the way to go. I made mine P: for Pool, but what would I do if I built a 2nd pool??  :-)

So I removed the original OS partition "D" drive out of the pool and no difference.  I kept the pool as "D".  No matter how I access the pool it will time out and I have to click on retry dozens of times.  I even attached an USB drive to copy a file and the same thing happens.  I've upgraded to the latest two version of DB and no difference.  Another issues, probably related, is my client backups have not worked since I've had this problem.  The backup service wont start no matter what I try.  The client backups are part of the pool.  At this point I'm about ready to reinstall the entire system.

The latest thought may be that one of the drives in the pool is causing the problems. After removing the OS drive partition from the pool and running a pool repair (it found some problems and fixed them) I could run a chkdisk on all of the pool drives.  On the first one, db2, it found problems and said it fixed them. After that all seems to be working normal.  After a week or so it still seems normal but I can no longer run a chkdisk through DB. I'm not sure if it's the drive or DB.  Should I be able to run the repair disk through DB on all of the drives in the pool?