Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
mirekmal

Word of wisdom... after the fact

Something I learned hard way; if you plan to put some data that requires consistency across several files (e.g. something like client backups in WHS) on pooled drive make sure that it is duplicated! I made mistake and just placed these on non duplicated folder and one on my hard drives died I lost all client backups, as backup database was not consistent any more and it was not possible to recover it. Some of backup files are still available (part that was balanced out to still drive), but no use of these :(

You are right that there are many lessons that get learned the hard way. My own approach to PC Client backups is to not dup them. I realize that a drive failure in the DB pool would invalidate my backups (and yes, it happened). My approach is to fix the pool, delete the PC Client backup folder. Boot and let WHS ask if I want to recreate the missing folder. I say yes and then immediately reregister and do backups on all my clients. I do realize this method will not allow me to restore files on a client prior to the WHS DB pool repair, but I've never had to do that. I have had a OS drive failure on a client and have done bare metal restore of the failed client, but that only needs the current backup.

I feel your pain!!

I lost a 1 month old 2TB Western Digital Black drive in November (Black indicating a 5 year warranty which gave me confidence in how well made it is and how long WD expected it to last!!).  I did an initial stress test for 24 hours which typically shows any issues, so i was confident enough to put 2000 GB of not backup data onto it.

When I say died, it developered bad sectors on a daily basis, and SMART was clearly showing it was about to expire (courtesy of the live saving HDD Sentinel app emailing me the instant it started), so i tried to move everything off that was difficult to replace but due to the problems the tx rate was about 1 MB/s!  For a full 2 TB of data!  Most was replaceable video, but a good 500 GB was data and binaries that are much harder/impossible to replace.

For about 18 years of computing, that is the worst data loss i have ever experienced though.

The other identical drive i bought at the same time seems OK so far, but you never know!  Fingers crossed.