Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
revengineer

Cannot delete files from pool

Hi,

I just bulk copied data from my WHS v1 to my new Windows Server 2012 Essentials using Dastcopy. In the process, two zero-byte file named .DS_Store and desktop.ini got copied into a top level server folder. This file cannot be deleted, the error message I get is "Can't read from the source file or disk". Other files and subdirectories read/copy/delete fine.

Checked the drivebender log and it says

[Mount P:\]-open file, createfile api for: \\?\Volume{...}\{...}\Serverfolders\music\desktop.ini failed with error - the file cannot be accessed by the system.

The ... stand for long id strings of letters and numbers.

I have already submitted a ticket, but if anyone knows a quick answer I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ok, so in light of my impatience not letting me wait for an answer, I did the following: I mapped the DB drives to letters, then went into the respective directories and deleted the files from a command shell with administrative privileges using the "del" command.

While this fixed the problem, it did of course not solve the root of the problem. But my real question is: Did I screw anything up with this procedure?

I doubt you've messed anything up.

I thought I'd read somewhere in these forums where a Server 2012 user had found that they needed to set some folder security from the Dashboard after implementing DB and that corrected some security thing the user was running into. Maybe I just imagined reading it, but it's worth a try.

I'm having this same problem. I upgraded from Server 2008 Standard to Server 2012 Datacenter. I can create files but can't delete any.

You should submit a ticket. The problem I had that I destroyed the evidence while the ticket was being worked. So when asked I could not provide the files for examination. In the end I had to close the ticket without truly resolving the underlying problem.

You should submit a ticket. The problem I had that I destroyed the evidence while the ticket was being worked. So when asked I could not provide the files for examination. In the end I had to close the ticket without truly resolving the underlying problem.

I created a ticket yesterday. The funny thing is, it just started working today. I've rebooted the server a number of times and the problem still was there. Today for some reason it seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it comes back.

I created a ticket yesterday. The funny thing is, it just started working today. I've rebooted the server a number of times and the problem still was there. Today for some reason it seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it comes back.

Strange. It may be worth giving the latest beta a go, it has fixed some issues for myself and seems stable, that's if it happens again. :)