Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Beta v1.4.7.7

Release v1.4.7.7 beta (2013-02-08)

- Added: Hard Disk Sentinel is now powering the S.M.A.R.T. functionality.

- Added: Physical drive number emulation supported (allows TrueCrypt volumes to be used against Drive Bender). See help for more details.

- Bug fix: Under some extreme circumstances, drives can fail to mount.

- Bug fix: A number of minor interface and service issues.

- Update: Trial changed from 30 days to 60 days.

All beta versions can be downloaded from here.

Good stuff!  Quick test of the new SMART Engine:

Currently working and pulling data correctly from all drives connected to:

- Std Intel Z77 Chipset

- Sil 3114

- ASMedia 1061

The drives have have conencted to the Highpoint RockRAID 2720 Controller is only displaying data for 1 of the 7 drives with the other 6 just all N/A (so I suspect there is some tuning to do to get and display all SMART Data from this controller).

Also, one presentation idea, you currently show XXXX "Hours Running" for the drive but it would be better Expressed as XX days, XX Hours.

Thanks

Nathan

FYI the link to the WHS version is broken (tries to pull an MSI - manually changing it to an exe works).

Fixed... thanks

Good stuff!  Quick test of the new SMART Engine:

Currently working and pulling data correctly from all drives connected to:

- Std Intel Z77 Chipset

- Sil 3114

- ASMedia 1061

The drives have have conencted to the Highpoint RockRAID 2720 Controller is only displaying data for 1 of the 7 drives with the other 6 just all N/A (so I suspect there is some tuning to do to get and display all SMART Data from this controller).

Do you have HD Sentinel installed? If so does it display alright in that?

Also, one presentation idea, you currently show XXXX "Hours Running" for the drive but it would be better Expressed as XX days, XX Hours.

Agree... will be updated for the next version.

SMART Details are fine in the full ver of HDS.  BD seems to be pulling only the details for the First Physical Drive on the controller.

One odd thing is that when I had drive letters mapped to each of the drives, then HDS would show all drives as having the same (eg not their acutual) drive letter and it was the one assigned to the First Physical Drive (eg the one DB was pulling SMART data on).  If I removed the drive letter in DB for this drive then HDS would lose the drive map for all drives on this controller (Windows is fine).  I've not seen this before so don't know if it is a HDS, DB, or a combined bug.

Let me know what details you need for either issue.

Running better this beta for me.

I had a problem with Android devices/Raspbmc accessing DB over SMB - Just wouldn't work since I had to uninstall/install for the DB driver to work. Access via Windows worked without issues from multiple PC's.

This has fixed that issue. :)

- Added: Physical drive number emulation supported (allows TrueCrypt volumes to be used against Drive Bender). See help for more details.

Brill!!!  Will start spinning up VMWare and get testing this out at the weekend - nice one Anthony!

Installed v1.4.7.7 on DB server over the top of previous version without issue (although the links in the DRIVE BENDER folder in the START MENU (Windows 7) do not work - they shortcuts to nothing).

Can't do the same for the CLIENT version though.

Went to install v1.4.7.7 CLIENT and got the following:

Capture331.JPG

Version installed was v1.4.7.5:

Capture332.JPG

Any ideas why we can't just install the CLIENT version over the top ??

TIA.

SMART Details are fine in the full ver of HDS.  BD seems to be pulling only the details for the First Physical Drive on the controller.

One odd thing is that when I had drive letters mapped to each of the drives, then HDS would show all drives as having the same (eg not their acutual) drive letter and it was the one assigned to the First Physical Drive (eg the one DB was pulling SMART data on).  If I removed the drive letter in DB for this drive then HDS would lose the drive map for all drives on this controller (Windows is fine).  I've not seen this before so don't know if it is a HDS, DB, or a combined bug.

I will investigate.

Installed v1.4.7.7 on DB server over the top of previous version without issue (although the links in the DRIVE BENDER folder in the START MENU (Windows 7) do not work - they shortcuts to nothing).

Can't do the same for the CLIENT version though.

Went to install v1.4.7.7 CLIENT and got the following:

Capture331.JPG

Version installed was v1.4.7.5:

Capture332.JPG

Any ideas why we can't just install the CLIENT version over the top ??

TIA.

Yeah this has been changed to ensure previous versions have been uninstalled (client only). This is because some user were having problems upgrading. We might look at having the install do all this automatically.

Yeah this has been changed to ensure previous versions have been uninstalled (client only). This is because some user were having problems upgrading. We might look at having the install do all this automatically.

OK, thanks Anthony.

Would is be possible for you to contact support... I have a test app I would like you to try?

So is it a separate hd Sentinel that we purchase?  Or the same regular version but drive bender recognizes its installed and integrates?

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

So is it a separate hd Sentinel that we purchase?  Or the same regular version but drive bender recognizes its installed and integrates?

DB uses HDD Sentinel internally and is not installed as a full product.

If you don't have it, then you can get a 25% discount on the full version using the DB code as mentioned earlier.

If you already have it installed, as I do, or decide to purchase, please remember that there is no interaction between DB and the fully installed product (as yet  ;)  ).

Well, that's my understanding.

CBers is spot on, you do not need to purchase the full version HDS to get DB's HDS functionality... however it is the best SMART app on the market and something that should be in the toolkit of anyone that has a reasonable size pool.

Is it that DB is integrating a limited version of Hard Disk Sentinel for free but if we want the full pro version we would have to pay for it separately (at a discount)?

It's not clear to me if it's a plug in we pay for to have it working in DB

It's not clear to me if it's a plug in we pay for to have it working in DB

You don't pay for the "HD Sentinel" engine that is used within DB - it's just part of the DB package. If you want the extra functionality that is available in the full HD Sentinel program then you need to purchase it (using the discount that DB has arranged of course  :) )

Bear in mind, that the full HDD Sentinel product still cannot resolve the DB pool mountpoint as a drive.

Not sure if it will going forward.

You will still need to use HDD Sentinel against the physical disks in the pool separately.

That's how mine (v4.0) works anyway.

Not sure if Anthony can tell us what version of HDD Sentinel DB uses, just so we can compare against the latest full version ??

Bear in mind, that the full HDD Sentinel product still cannot resolve the DB pool mountpoint as a drive.

I'm presuming that in reality it shouldn't actually resolve this? I.E. HDS is really a tool to highlight drive failures, out-of-bounds SMART results etc. which only have relevance at physical level not virtual?  As long as HDS reports the underlying physical issues then I'm thinking that is all that's needed?

I'm presuming that in reality it shouldn't actually resolve this? I.E. HDS is really a tool to highlight drive failures, out-of-bounds SMART results etc. which only have relevance at physical level not virtual?  As long as HDS reports the underlying physical issues then I'm thinking that is all that's needed?

Not sure everyone knows this though.

Link to get the discount is here.

I'm seeing a problem with this beta and SMART. It used to show SMART data in the drives dashboard. The SMART stuff is all not showing, however if I click the Show SMART data button it does show the data in the dialog. The attached screen snip has the Dashboard SMART on the left and the dialog on the right. Since this is a beta version I'm posting here rather than opening a ticket.

485_.jpg