Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nicodemus

New Raid System

Hello All Its been Awhile since my last login. Just purchased a new 12 disk Synology. The one option I thought would be really awesome for drive bender is the raid system that this box used. It check every sector on the drive records it and then enable the drive to be added to the pool. The difference is out of the 12 3 TB drives in the system i only need 1 3 TB drive as a raid drive. It distributes the data across all the drive and checks the drive all the time  when reading and writing if one of the sector can't be written to it will mark sector as bad and write to another sector and does this check like. I said all the time. The only thing is , It takes at least 6 to 8 hours to enable the drive to add to the pool. I had a failure on one of the new seagate 3TB 7200 rpm. The system it e-mailed me let me know what the cause was and all i had to do is slip the new drive in and after abou 10 hours all was back to normal. The one great thing was I did not loss any data what so ever and could still keep watch my movies. I use this and my movie box and my server 2008r as my NFS movie box for my TVIX media player. But this would be an awesome option to Drive bender. I still use Drive bender on the server but this would make it just the Cake we need for data protection and pooling.

Just had a look at those Synology systems and damn, they're expensive!

Don't forget that DB is basically a drive pooling product and not RAID.

Might be something that Division-M might look at, but I would imagine not till DB is completed.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2