Division-M Community

Large Quantity of FSC Files

DrIndyJones

I noticed my backup was backing up in excess of 3m files. So I went on an adventure to try to discover the source of these millions of files. One of the folders was C:\ProgramData\Division-M\Drive Bender\Cache\{GUID}\ where almost 1m FSC files (994,655 to be exact) live. They're all fairly recent, created around 1am during what I am guessing is some sort of maintenance period.

Naturally, I excluded my backup from this folder, but what purpose do these files have and why so many? Is this an indication of some sort of issue?

I also run 3.9.9.2 and have this folder which contains just over 5,300 FSC files. All of them have a date/time of 12/10/2022 / 12:00AM. I looked in a few of them and they all appear to reference files that are in a folder that is defined with duplication. The total count of files in this folder is well over 24,000. Wonder if it's something to do with file balancing? Let us know what response you get from the developer.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from Anthony, he said this is expected behavior. While he didn't explain what exactly it is used for, I think you're close to the truth, @w3wilkes. He said "These are created to monitor system performance".

That said, I did clean up some of my other folders that also had out of control file counts and that seemed to have curbed the amount of FSC files. My backup ignores the folder now too, so that'll speed up the backup process (which is what I was initially trying to do).

Have a happy holiday, y'all.