Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
MikhailCompo

[Resolved] Massive Data Loss, Dreaful Performance Long Term DB User, Never Again

DB 1.7.2.0 on Server 2012

I have always taken precautions with data and chose DB based on its promise to customers that as it sat on top of the Windows file system/NTFS that there was no increased risk of data loss.

But for just one occasion when a customer is let down, and massive data loss occurs due to Driver Bender immediately ends and confidence in the product.  That is exactly what has happened and I hope this post helps other users.

I moved all my audio data (mainly wav and mp3) from a single drive where it has sat for the last year into the pool, no reports of errors.  No errors in event log, no errors in DB logs, SMART reports perfect for all drives (I have had a Pro license of HD Sentinel for some time).  I have run chkdsk on the single drive, and the drives in the pool that DB will allow me to test (check disk has always been really flaky in ever version of DB).  No errors anywhere.

Despite this, from a rough estimate approximately half the data has become corrupted.  All meta data appears normal, file mod/creation dates etc, file sizes remain the same as they were, folder structure fine, I can move the files to other drives without issue, except that the data is corrupt.

Moving files around on any non-pooled drive is fine.  I have moved some video data into the pool today and it has not corrupted, but the performance is still dreadful (see attached).

I will contact DB support also but blatently the data is lost for ever.  My intention once the data had transfered was to duplicate it so I foolishly was confident that DB would work and the risk was minimal.  What a stupid mistake.....

post-53-138978189768_thumb.png

Hey,

I'm really sorry you lost your files, but i'm curious do you use CRC file validation?

Did you check your files after you copied them? Did you copy the files via network or from von hdd to the pool?

I also once lost a lot of my files, a couple of years ago. I copied them via network and later i found out that all my files were corrupted.

No CRC validation enabled.  It's only after you mention it that I now realise that the feature is NO LONGER enabled by default.  NOT IMPRESSED..... >:(

Files were copied from another internal HDD, not via network.  Yes I have also had network file corruption when testing jumbo packets.

This machine and it's disks have never experienced any issues like this before.  I am confident that it is not hardware related.

Also sorry to hear about your issue! Hopefully the DB support folks come up with something! Keep us posted on what you find out. There are some of us here that are long time users and haven't had a issue like you describe, not that it can't happen. I would like to know what you find out so we can hopefully avoid this for the rest of us.

I'm not sure you can blame DB because presumably you used the Windows OS to move the files, in which case DB's involvement would only be to assign disks within the pool as the move-to locations. If you search the web you'll find numerous complaints of .mp3 files becoming corrupted when copied or moved under a Windows OS. The fail-safe approach seems to be not to use Windows Explorer to copy/move, but something more sophisticated such as SyncToy with the check file contents option selected.

But it certainly would be helpful to hear from DB whether their product could have caused this problem. 

this is not a windows problem.. I have the same moving files within DB (Remove Drive) and even when storring files to DB.. I always need to do a verify on copies to make sure they are ok, before deleting the source file

I just want to make one very clear point here... DB does not touch the data buffers being moved around the file system. Since DB beta 1, the number of users that have reported such an issue can be counted on one hand, and of those most were determined to be caused by hardware issues, either memory related, or controller related.

With 10,000 plus DB users, if we did have a corruption issue, I'm sure it would a much hotter topic. The driver DB uses is based upon a commercial driver that is used by many other products (including Flexraid) and line of business apps. The bottom line is that there are many components (hardware and software) that make up a computer system, to blame a specific component is without investigation is, well ridiculous.

We take any such report very seriously, if any user has such an issue they should contact support ASAP.

this is not a windows problem.. I have the same moving files within DB (Remove Drive) and even when storring files to DB.. I always need to do a verify on copies to make sure they are ok, before deleting the source file

Moved to support.

To add my 2 cents, I switched from Windows Server v1 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials with DB about 4 months ago. At that time I copied ~800,000 files across the network from the old to the new server. I copied all files into a duplicated pool and verified the file hashes for each file. The copy process took about 2 weeks and in that time a single file was flagged with a bad hash and recopied. While I cannot tell what caused the bad copy, my example shows that the probability is approaching one in a million. So I do not see a red flag here and would bet on a hardware issue as well.