Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
DIE_KUH

Can't remove drives from the pool

I'm currently shifting all my data and drives from one DB pool to another pool (removing the drives one by one and adding them to the new pool). However, I'm having problems removing the drives from the pool. I could remove two drives so far, but on two other drives (3 TB each), I'm getting the following error:

There was an error removing the drive from the pool. The error was - "An error occured while removing the drive. Please consult the application log files for further details on this error. Error: No argument for format '[Worker Task id: {00FB6D50-F2F6'".

In the log files, I could also find this (or rather, a LOT of these errors):

FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT returned an error - The file or directory is not a reparse point

Any ideas what could be causing this? And solutions other than manually removing the drives?

Just checking - I know there have been some issues fixed along the way on this area - are you running the latest version? If not it may be useful to upgrade (once the pool is stable again and not in the middle of trying to remove the drive) and then try and remove the drive again.

As suggested, I raised a ticket. Hopefully the log files point in the right direction - looking at them myself I see no pattern that causes this error. I thought maybe the balancing routine might be stuck on one file (and I even found one I couldn't even delete as an administrator - Windows ACL, I hate you), but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Sometimes the error even occurs without DB trying to move any file at all - the "remove" command then instantly results in this error. Weird.

Yes, I was already using 1.8.0.0. Maybe I should have tried an older build. ;) I already manually removed one drive, because moving this much data takes days... but I can still reproduce the error.

Hey,

I've got the same problem with an error like that.

I wanted to remove a drive but it didn't work. I Also got a

An error occured while removing the drive. Please consult the application log files for further details on this error. Error: No argument for format '[Worker Task id: xxxxx

After that i tried to swap a drive, but i got a simliar error

[Worker Task id: {1467B5A7-0C91-4E83-818C-059F47E08BD1}] - Swap Drive - Copying files from: \\?\Volume{65cf38e8-160f-11e2-9e49-806e6f6e6963}\{7E9FC11B-3E27-49AC-B59A-FA177FD9C572}

[Worker Task id: {1467B5A7-0C91-4E83-818C-059F47E08BD1}] - Swap Drive - An error occurred while swapping the drive. Error: No argument for format '[Worker Task id: {1467B5A7-0C91'

I also opened a ticket. I hope this will get fixed soon.

CBers,

I have been following that thread and IMHO that issues is entirely different. The user in that thread was noting the long time required to remove the drive, which seems like it was due to a drive going bad. That DB takes long in this case is no surprise as it tries over and over to read the data to move it somewhere else. The only solution is probably to imitate a completely broken drive by pulling it out.

In this thread, if I understood correctly, removal and swapping is not possible due to error messages from DB. So I am interested in knowing if these errors messages have been looked at.

I set up a new DB pool on a seperate PC earlier today with 2x2Tb drives in.

I loaded about 200Mb data onto it and tried to remove one of the disks.

Got this message pop-up:

Capture439.JPG

In System notifications there was this :

Capture440.JPG

So even with a basic 2-disk setup with not a lot of data on there's a problem.

Gonna raise a Support Ticket myself and reference this thread.

I got a patch today that's supposed to fix this issue, but I didn't yet have time to test it. Don't know if it's okay to forward it, so maybe you should ask them if they can send you the fix, too.

i got the patch from "DIE_KUH" (german, too?) and it works fine for me.

his drive bender is the normal windows version but the patch fixed my WHS2011 error too.

thanks!

i got the patch from "DIE_KUH" (german, too?)

Yeah must be german ^^, you too?

I just wanted to say again that it seems to be working, but it takes a long time to remove the 2TB. The only thing which bothers me a little is the percent notification. After copying a some files (only about 10GB) it says '100%' while its obvoiusly not finished and still copying the rest.

Has anyone else noticed this?

For all the others i attched the patched here.

To install.

1) Open task manager and kill task "DriveBenderService.exe" (make sure the pool is not busy copying files etc).

2) Unzip the attached files to the DB folder (typically "C:\Program Files\Division-M\Drive Bender"), overwriting the existing files.

3) Reboot.

540_.zip

indeed i?m german.

removing 800gb files from the 1.5tb disk was about 4-5 hours.

That's about the same amount of time WHS v1 Drive Extender took for such a job. DB can't do miracles, moving data just takes time. WHS v1 had the same problem that the shares were inaccessible during the removal process. A compromise of a read-only pool would be fantastic, but data security is highest priority for me.

PS: oh, and another German here... :-)

Thanks for posting the patch Tourniquet.

I can't try it as I have filled my pool now  :(

Hopefully it will fix the issues you're all seeing and the patch will be rolled into the next release.

OK, as I received the patch from DB Support, I have now added a new 3Tb drive and just starting to remove a  2Tb drive.

Time is 18:00 UK (BST) - Pool has about 3.3Tb of data on it, so I would say about 1.65Tb per disk.

I'll update as progress goes.

EDIT:  30 minutes in and REMOVE DRIVE task says 33%.

EDIT:  60 minutes in and REMOVE DRIVE task says 48%.

EDIT: 100 minutes in and REMOVE DRIVE task says 53% - moving large video files

EDIT: 120 minutes in and REMOVE DRIVE task says 53% - still moving large video files

EDIT: 240 minutes in and REMOVE DRIVE task says 55% - still moving large video files - moved ~1Tb so far

EDIT: 10 hours and the drive has been removed from the pool!!

All the way through, the pool has been online and accessible. I was even able to create a folder and a file.

All the way through, the pool has been online and accessible. I was even able to create a folder and a file.

Uh, what? Did they change the behaviour so the pool stays online during drive removal now? That would be great. Or is there a difference in behaviour between "remove drive" and "swap in a new drive"?

Uh, what? Did they change the behaviour so the pool stays online during drive removal now? That would be great. Or is there a difference in behaviour between "remove drive" and "swap in a new drive"?

No i don't think there is a difference. I swapped the drive and the pool stayed alive the whole time.