Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ikon

dependent services not starting & no drives listed in the Drives Dashboard

I've been playing with DB for a few days. Overall, my experience is that it is what I would term 'fragile'. It seems that a lot of things can make it go hinky.

The latest is that, if I check the services listed as dependent on Drive Bender, none of them are started. I was able to start them manually, but I don't understand why they wouldn't be started automatically. Most of them are listed as automatic. The 1 that wasn't is the Computer Brower Service, which was Disabled. I set it to manual.

The other major issue is that I see no drives in the Drives Dashboard. There are drives attached; I have 2 drives (let's call them drives 3 & 4) in a USB3 external enclosure showing just fine in Disk Manager. Moreover, not even the C: drive is showing in Drives Dashboard - it's completely blank. A Refresh does nothing.

I did have drives showing earlier today. I created 1 pool, added drives 1 & 2 to it, and copied over 120GB of files. It was after I created a 2nd pool that things went wierd. I expected to be able to add drives 3 & 4, but there is nothing showing.

I would be grateful for any help.

ps. I hope these aren't all noob questions: I did search the forum for what I hope would be good keywords, but nothing relevant seemed to come up.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: it seems to take a realllllly long time for the Drive Bender Service to restart; so long that it times out in services.msc. It does seem to start eventually, but it is very long to do it.

First a couple of questions. What did you install DB on (WHS, win7, win8...)? What version of DB did you install? I recently tried 1810 and have had problems with the pool staying active. I've backed off to 1720 which is running fine on my WHS2011 box.

Ah. Good point. I should have been more detailed.

I installed on WHS2011, but this time I installed the non-addin version of the latest; that must be 1810 I guess. I will try to fine 1720 and install that.

BTW, do you know how to wipe drives so DB doesn't realise they were part of a pool at one time. I think it would be best if I start fresh each time...

FOLLOWUP: where do I find ver 1720?

You should open a support ticket and see if you can get 1720 from the DB folks.

You should be able to just format the drive(s) in NTFS and the DB data and the whole drive should be clear.

I just updated Drive Bender from v1.4.6.5 to v1.8.6.0 on my Windows 2011 server.

Now the server is very slow to boot up and critical services do not start

automatically such as these services:

Drive Bender Health Service

Server

Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service

Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service

Windows Server Initialization Service

Windows Server Server Backup Service

Windows Server Storage Server

All of these service are set to automatic but after updating DB they don't

auto start, I can start them manually.

I am unable to access the D:\ Drive Pool until I have started these

services.

I ran the DB install file from the C: drive of the server via an RDP

connection.

I have emailed support!

Thanks

I got several of these errors in the system log this morning which is when I installed the new version of DB

Event ID 7022:

The Drive Bender Service service hung on starting.

Also several of these which have no description on them

Event ID 1: VHyperDrive4

And several 7001 errors

Event ID 7001 Service Control Manager

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service service depends on the Drive Bender Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state.

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service service depends on the Drive Bender Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Drive Bender Health Service service depends on the Drive Bender Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Windows Server Storage Service service depends on the Drive Bender Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Server service depends on the Drive Bender Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

Looks like there was a crash as well this morning

Event ID 1001: Bug Check

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000fe (0x0000000000000004, 0xfffffa8006d25c60, 0xfffffa80071d8360, 0xfffffa80071da010). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052213-53211-01.

This event happened this morning as well, presumably after installing the newer version of DB.

Event ID 25: Volsnap

The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

More details on the crash but this has been happening for a while and not just today according to the Who's Crashed results. Something to do with USBPORT. I think the only usb device connected to the WHS is an analogue modem for callerid.

On Wed 22/05/2013 09:24:13 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052213-53211-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: usbport.sys (USBPORT+0x16F4B)

Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFFA8006D25C60, 0xFFFFFA80071D8360, 0xFFFFFA80071DA010)

Error: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

product: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On your very last item about the USB eject. Sounds like this may be related to Windows Autoplay which has given some problems with DB in the past. There's a setting in the DB Settings dialog on the General tab where you can check "Manage Windows Autoplay". This makes it so that Autoplay will be disabled for drives in the DB pool.

Thanks I will check out the auto play setting. DB seems to have settled down and now if I restart the WHS all the services are started and I can access the pool D:\ drive OK.

However I seem to have developed a blue screen issue this only happens if I restart the WHS and then it blue screens, think this is related to the USB modem that is attached to the WHS. The modem has been on there for ages for callerid but I've not had this issue before, so something changed obviously.

Cheers

OK I enabled the Manage Windows Autoplay in the DB settings.

Also if I unplug this USB modem and restart the WHS, which is now connected to a monitor so I can see what's going on, it does not blue screen! So certainly an issue with the USB and the USB modem now for some reason.

After the restart looking in the USB eject icon on the system tray, the internal Sata hard drives are still listed in there. Not sure if that is normal or if that DB setting should remove them from this area?

I am using a HP N40L Microserver btw.

Cheers

Well I fixed the blue screen issue, I installed some different drivers for the Conexant CX93010 modem from 2009, the problems drivers were from 2008.

I will keep an eye on things and the Windows system log for any errors.

Cheers

Regarding the drives showing up in the USB Eject icon... I had my drives showing up there because the SATA controller driver needed to be updated first. I then had to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and software. This all will vary per board and chipset. Check for any updates to controller drivers and software.