Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
thepregnantgod

[Resolved] Pool becomes inaccessible (hangs explorer) after 30-45mins...

I am using Drivebender 1.8.6.0 on Win8x64.  I have 17 3TB drives pooled together.

Everything works smoothly except that after about 30-45 mins (can't really measure it) the pool becomes inaccessible.  It doesn't throw up an error like a drive gone bad (in fact I've checked them all) but I simply can't reach it either via a network share or through explorer on the local machine.  If I open explorer it hangs.

This is fixed upon a hard reboot.  But then repeats again.

Please help.

I have been having this same issue since last week, my pool would last from minutes to about an hour when it would then hang/disappear only way to fix it was to reboot. Finally had to downgrade back down to 1.8.1.0 and no issues since then. Sent logs to Anthony and have been working in the background to hopefully sort this out. He has just sent me Beta1.8.6.5 which I will install in a few minutes in hopes that fixes my (and maybe your) problem. Will report more later.

after install, it stayed up for about 30-45min then crashed, I rebooted and it has been up for about 1.5 hours right now.

after a crash i can not properly shut down it hangs at logging off. I have to do a hard reset. Does any one else have that problem?

Great!  So it's not me.  The strange thing is that my Recorded TV (for Media Center) points to my pool and is able to write to the pool without a problem.  For example, came home this weekend and the pool was hung.  Rebooted, opened up the pool and all the recordings were there - so I didn't miss anything, but couldn't access those recordings unless I rebooted!?!?!!?

Until then, I'm going to find 1.8.1 and reinstall.

Anyone know where I can find it?

Same issue here. Doesn't have to be high load, I just copied about 5GB of data to a duplicated pool, and it freezes the transfer, then things start to crash, explorer crashes and then I have to reboot.  Like others have said, you still have the drive letter in explorer but no file usage/size bar with it.  The second mount point (unduplicated) seems to work still.  If i reboot through Windows I get the logoff process then it hangs on a screen with the text "Please wait for the System Event Notification Service" then i have to do a hard reboot.

I'm on Server 2012 Essentials

Do I usr the whs version for server 2012 essentials with the dashboard?

I've installed 1810 over the top of the latest beta and its going really slow loading the manager and pool. Should I uninstall and reinstall the 1810 version?

First, thank you for posting the Windows version of 1.8.1.

Unfortunately, after uninstalling 1.8.6, rebooting, then installing 1.8.1 it completely jacked up my system.  I couldn't open explorer, couldn't open up Ctrl Panel to uninstall, etc.

I had to boot into safe mode to stop all services/start ups, then boot into normal mode to uninstall 1.8.1. 

I reinstalled 1.8.6 and will just have to deal with the pool dropping out.

For the DriveBender folks - I suspect the pool becomes inaccessible when a lot of data is read from (not written to) the pool.  I suspect this because if I leave the system unattended (it's my HTPC) - Media Center writes fine to the pool.  However, if I try to copy a lot of files to another system (meaning gigabytes) or try to watch television (which is reading gigabytes of files) then the pool becomes inaccessible until I hard reboot.

The sooner you guys fix this, the happier I will be.  I'm sticking with you (since beta) - plus Storage Spaces really sucks.

Hi All,

We are aware of this and are busy sorting it out... the big problem we have had is reproducing the issue.

However it looks as if we have just found a way to induce the lockup. Once we have a fix we will post ASAP.

@Chrish16, Not positive, but I thought that the WHS version with Dashboard integration was the one to use with 2012 SE. I would guess that either version will work, but you would have to use the DB Client (either local or remote) to interact with DB. I do like the Dashboard integration on WHS 2011, it eliminates the need for a separate DB client to access DB.