Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
thepregnantgod

[Resolved] Pool becomes inaccessible (hangs explorer) after 30-45mins...

I thinkyou do use the WHS one for server 2012 essentials also, it just adds the dashboard feature.

I've managed to remove my old config, but uninstalling 1.8.1.0, reinstalling the latest beta and deleting the pool there, uninstalling the beta and reinstalling the 1.8.1.0 version.

I'm going to try and test it now, as reported earlier 1.8.1.0 was working ok and not crashing.

Hi all,

We have confirmed this issue resolved in v1.8.8.5 (rc2) which I'm hoping to get up in the next 24 hours with the v1.9 release to come soon after.

To sum up what has happened here... this specific bug is directly related to load, the more I/O that occurs, the more likely this lock up will happen. The bug itself was in the DB driver and has been there for some time, however it has only become an issue in the past couple of versions because of the performance tweak that have occurred (which has lead to higher I/O). This was most obvious when we went to v1860 which has a major performance tweak.

Over the past couple of weeks, we have tried many ways to cause the lock up and have failed... however we introduced a new (and expensive) stress testing tool to our testing environment which was able to induce the problem. Moving forward all versions will undergo this stress testing to ensure this type of problem is caught before any code gets onto a users machine.

IMPORTANT - If you downloaded this in the first hour, the installer contained a corrupt component which caused a permissions lock on the pool (could not create folder etc). The installer has fixed, please download and re-install (over the top of the existing).

I'm running WHS2011 all maintenance installed and yes, Client backups to the DB pool is not a problem. I think the only drawback for client backups is no support for GPT formatted drives (this is a WHS2011 issue, not DB). I don't see this as a big deal since I don't plan on moving off Win7 for my clients. Even if MS gives in to native Start button and the ability to boot directly to desktop I still think I'd be at 2TB or less for my drives so formatting to MBR would be no big deal. The other use of my WHS2011 box is that it runs the Logitech Squeezebox server software that all my music is streamed from and all my music is in the DB pool and duplicated. I do put my server info system stuff with DB in my sig.

@tomper, WOW, thanks for the link! This doesn't install through regular Windows update (or it's newer than the current updates). I've now snagged it even though I don't need it, it does do some future proofing for my WHS2011 platform.

I am running v 1.9 now in an attempt to solve this problem but am still seeing it.

It happens a few times per day and I have to hard boot it which I hate doing.

It is extremely frustrating, I am getting close to jumping ship for storage spaces even though I don't want to.

We have confirmed that the original issue was being caused by bug in the DB driver. This has been resolved in v1.9.

If any user is experiencing an issue, please contact support, however to date we have not had a single instance reported.